Viadana sailboat gear

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I was hunting for some good sailboat gear to replace my aging blocks, cleats etc, was looking for the brands that came with the boat (not harken, Lewmar, Ronstan etc.) and ran across Viadana. At first I thought is was Chinese as I had never heard of em. But they are Italian, and don’t heavily market there gear. so I thought I would dip a toe in the upgrade waters and get some snap shackles. Here they are the quality of build looks spot on so I will use these on the main and vang as I hate ring dings and we primarily trailer and have to unrig every time.
6989DC42-DD2A-47E2-8225-65E918D8378A.jpeg

Jul 23, 2018
hunter 31 aquia
their blocks are on the lightly made side. I bought some and have since replaced them. The thin plastic cheaks did not inspire confidence .I really prefer gaurhaer. their blocks are more sturdily made.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There's a thread over on SA about them

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
New main sheet blocks, fare well old seaway blocks you did your job for almost 40 yrs. You go into the inactive reserve box after a good cleaning.
So far I have the adjustable back stay, and now the main sheet rigged with viadana. Will report as they get there workout
F7E8DF1D-DFB7-4AFE-928D-BD9C539D8E32.jpeg

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Update: so had the main sheet blocks out a couple of times, happy to say they cleat nicely, hold well and don’t bind under load ( uncleat smoothly without needing undue force) sailed in 8-13knts in sporty seas. The back stay is Adequate, will most likely change from the v cleat block to a standard cleat block, or not, I mainly like it as I can ease the back stay to get the forestay easily hooked when rigging, don’t touch it much once I take out the slack. If I raced I think I would change it out, cruising it works….

i Inspected the old seaway blocks for the main, they both showed splitting around the cheeks (like It was delaminating) no hate for 30+ yr old blocks, but better to replace before something drastic happens.

Last edited: