VHF repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
I want to give a shout out to United Radio of Syracuse, NY. When I de-winterized this spring and fired up the Icom VHF it was stuck on full loud. The volume knob did not work at all. It's the original equipment on my '05 C310 so well out of warranty. Sent it to UR which is the Icom factory repair facility in the east. They turned it around in 2 days for $60 including shipping back, not only fixing the loudness but ran a full bench test. They called me with a full explanation of what was needed the day after receiving it. Works great now-a good vendor experience. If I had to replace the radio not only was I in for the cost of the new one but the RAM as well since its not compatible with the new radios-not to mention the pain of running the new RAM cable to the helm.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
If you have their repair sheet handy, I'd be interested in knowing specific items repaired/replaced and what else they did. thanks

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Quoting the invoice Don:
"Replace malfunctioning components.
Complete circuit alignment and performance test.
Clean, check specifications & adjust as necessary."
So not much specificity as to the component replaced though he described on the phone what part was needed, I forgot the nomenclature he used-only a part number is shown on the invoice.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Thanks. The reason I asked is just curiosity if it was something a simple as a bad potentiometer (volume control) or something else. $60 is much better than a new radio.

Mar 8, 2012
Catalina 22 trailer sailor
Thanks for the shout out on that vendor, so many times everyone hears the bad stuff, very few actually take the time to provide a good review.

Mar 8, 2012
Catalina 22 trailer sailor
Googling the part number will probably not bring anything up. I just got laid off from a company that built and repaired VHF equipment for law enforcement. (Our company went Chapter 7 and closed.) If we ordered and stocked parts, we put our own part number on them (inventory purposes) and that's what we invoiced, not the original manufacturer's part number.

Status
Not open for further replies.