VHF Range?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Welllllllll, things happen. When I bought my current boat in 2018 the surveyor noted that the VHF radio was working fine. After purchase I fairly quickly found that no one could pick me up transmitting (including someone on the dock with my handheld), but I could hear folks just fine.
I’ve tried to use a VHF radio more than once that did not transmit as expected. An at-large “radio check” on channel 9 rarely receives a reply. So, that’s usually a waste of time. Better to call your companion boat, if you have one. You can also key the mic while having your hand-held switched on. If you hear the keying on the hand-held, the boat VHF is at least transmitting.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
... An at-large “radio check” on channel 9 rarely receives a reply. So, that’s usually a waste of time. Better to call your companion boat, if you have one. You can also key the mic while having your hand-held switched on. If you hear the keying on the hand-held, the boat VHF is at least transmitting.
Good points. I don't do radio checks that often but when I have and can't raise anyone on 9 I hail on 16 "TowBoat US this is sailing vessel xxx with non emergency trafic". If heard they will respond and request you switch to a working channel. I switch and then just explain I couldn't get anybody on 9. Maybe not quite within the rules but I think better than doing a blind "radio check" on 16. Since I only do this in the off season when things are quiet I don't think anyone is bothered.

I do miss the demise of the automated radio check stations.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I do miss the demise of the automated radio check stations.
I was usually out of range with ours in HB because the boat was in slipped Ventura for 4 years of that time. When I did use it when near Long Beach, however, I thought it a good service b/c I could assess the strength and quality of my transmission. I was surprised that my range quality was not better. Up there in Ventura I would raise the harbor patrol to inquire the conditions at harbor entrance to check my working range at various distances on different days. Often a “legitimate” inquiry due to the weather conditions there and the approach at Ventura harbor. The typical working range of my VHF turned out to be inside of 10-12 n.mi. But Sector Los Angeles could receive me from over 20 n.mi. distant with me in the clear for transmission. Yes, I have a 22 yr old SH model and it might be time for an up-grade.

I could sometimes receive transmissions from race committee boats off San Diego with me at Santa Cruz Island, south coast. This happened more than once. That’s over 150 n.mi. Atmospherics apparently at work. VHF transmissions are line-of-sight unless bouncing off of something at high altitude.

I doubt the OP’s VHF, likely older than mine, will have have a “working” range of 18 n.mi., but one never knows until it’s tried.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Assuming the set works and the antenna works, the height of the antenna is everything. VHF radio signals travel a little beyond the optical horizon.
I would say “nearly everything.” Radio waves emanate in a “dome” (or maybe two half domes) from the antenna and can bounce off of things to increase range beyond the line-of-sight distance, and can be blocked by things as well. For example, anchored on the south coast of Santa Cruz Island I cannot receive NOAA weather broadcasts from Oxnard with their antenna high on a hill and maybe less than 30 n.mi. distant. So, I’m in a “shadow,” not in line-of-sight, evidently. I have to get out 2 n.mi. or so to receive. Then, as I said above, I can receive transmissions from race committee boats (power boats; no mast) from off San Diego while at Santa Cruz Island.

FL is FLAT! So, a little different there than here in some working situations.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
, I can receive transmissions from race committee boats (power boats; no mast) from off San Diego while at Santa Cruz Island.

FL is FLAT!
Perhaps this is evidence the Flat-Earthers have been seeking.

Members of the Flat Earth Society claim to believe the Earth is flat. Walking around on the planet's surface, it looks and feels flat, so they deem all evidence to the contrary, such as satellite photos of Earth as a sphere, to be fabrications of a "round Earth conspiracy" orchestrated by NASA and other government agencies.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Perhaps this is evidence the Flat-Earthers have been seeking.

Members of the Flat Earth Society claim to believe the Earth is flat. Walking around on the planet's surface, it looks and feels flat, so they deem all evidence to the contrary, such as satellite photos of Earth as a sphere, to be fabrications of a "round Earth conspiracy" orchestrated by NASA and other government agencies.
But one of many “societies” with irrational views or beliefs:huh:. Maybe they don’t watch TV! In any event, what difference in everyday life?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Just to give an example of antenna height, I have two VHF's, one below with an antenna on the radar pole and one at the helm with a mast antenna. When Sea Tow was doing their automated radio checks, I could hear a distinct difference in reception between the two. I think the station was about 12 miles away. The below VHF was near its limit while the masthead was clear as a bell.
FWIW, when sailing to Puerto Vallarta from Los Angeles in about 2003, we could not raise any of the HF radio telephone services. Just for laughs, around dusk, I tried the VHF and raised the San Diego marine operator. We were 170-180 miles south. He was as surprised as I was. I got in a good five minutes before the call dropped.
Do Marine VHF radiophone operations exist anymore? I don't think I even bothered to add those channels into my scans.
Remember those big 5 watt cell phones? I had one on the boat connected to a marine cell antenna on my radar pole. One trip, I was singlehanding back from San Diego and did a layover in Catalina Island's White's cove. There, i was blanketed from the Redondo Beach marine operator. I tried the cell phone and was able to connect to home. I later found out (via my bill) that i had roamed through Tijuana, Mexico, around 80 miles south.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
We out 200 miles from Tampa and could converse with Sea Tow. They said their antenna was up on a condo in Clearwater really surprised us.

Coast Guard antennas are high up on towers and each station usually has more than one so they have pretty good coverage as well.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@SailorElliot, Don't ask for a comm check on channel 16, and never reply to a comm check on channel 16. Listen on channel 9. If you hear boaters chatting, wait for them to finish then you can ask for a radio check.
... but then how do I know if channel 16 is working...:kick::biggrin: