VHF Radio, do I need it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John

I don't know how to operate one, do I need one and if so, which one should I buy? Thanks

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners.com

Yes

You should definitely buy a VHF. The USCG doesn't require you to carry one but IMHO any prudent boater would. A cell phone is nice but it's no replacement for VHF. It's an important safety device in case you run into trouble out there. As far as operating one, it's as easy and pressing the mic button

J

John Buckham

Maybe Not...

At one time I’d say “Absolutely” but now I’m not so sure. With the advent of cellular phones it might be all that you’d need. I do use my VHF, sometimes we sail in formation, it’s very handy. Of course there are places that a cellular won’t work, but the VHF will. Also, if you have a cellular and VHF you will have some redundancy of one quits. As for VHF recommendations, radios by Icom or Standard seem to test the best by a certain sailing magazine that reviews gear.. I have an Icom M-502, and a Standard HX-150. Both have been outstanding. I also carry an old Mitsubishi analog "bag phone" onboard. Just my thoughts.

C

Chris Hyland

VHF

John, Where will you be sailing, and how big is your boat. In smaller boats on large bodies of water you may be best served buy purchasing a good quality handheld radio. If your on the coast in the ocean I'd opt for a more powerful base type unit. My boat has the Standard Horizon 25 series unit at the nav station with the Ram Mike at the helm. I like it very much. It's not an expensive unit in relative terms, under 300 dollars. A good quality handheald will run you 100 to 150 dollars. As far as usage protocol, Channels 9 and 16 seem to be the most popular working channels, although check cruising guides for harbormasters and marinas monitored channels. It is important to check your radio when starting out on a sail. The protocol is as follows. Anyboat, anyboat, anyboat for a radio check! Listen and skippers will respond from different areas telling you whether they can hear you. Pay attention to the locations to get a feel for how far your radio is reaching out. When you have recieved reports thank the responders with a simple " Thanks Capt" When calling another boat use the same proceedure. boatname,boatname,boatname, this is (your boatname here) do you read. Once the hailed boat responds ask to switch to another channel off the working frequencies. The same applies to hailing a harbormaster in a port. Newport harbormater,etc,ect this is (your boatname here) do you read. Boatname, this is the newport harbor master go ahead. Newport harbormaster this is (your boat name)do you have moorings available. (Your boat name) this is newport harbor master number 21 is available. Newport harbor master this is (your boat name) that sounds fine, we'll take that, (your boat name) out. That's the basic protocol for use of the VHF radio. Once you get one, you'll listen and it will become a little more clear. Regards, Chris

B

Bob Camarena

Get one

I think a VHF is an important safety item. Although cell phones can substitute when you want to call the Coast Guard or someone you know, what if the Coast Guard or another boat is hailing you or you need to contact a nearby boat for help? It's important to realize that VHF's shouldn't be used for general chit-chat. For one thing, you're not supposed to use them from shore to your boat (dinghy to boat is OK). I just bought a pair of inexpensive "FRS" radios for the more casual uses, but my C-30 has both a stationary and a handheld VHF. I have to admit that my use of both VHFs has been minimal over the years, but they could save a life sometime, mine or someone else's.

L

Larry W.

Absofreakinglutley

You can't be serious. No one can home in on a cell phone signal. If you can't use a simple VHF, what else can't you use; sails, tiller, boom vang, traveler? I hope you and I never meet in a port-starboard situation.

W

William E.

Absofreakinlutly ???

Larry you have some serious issues. This forum is for positive feed back - not psycobable from a very misguided indivigual!!

T

Tim Leighton

DON'T RELY ON CELL PHONES!!!

First of all, I agree with William that this forum is not the proper place to "pontificate" or spew forth with a diatribe, even if you are VERY sure of your position! However, Larry was right, a cell phone should NOT be your primary means of boat-to-boat communication. They are great for calling your spouse to let 'em know you are going to be late, or ordering a pizza for delivery to your slip, but (and the CG backs me up here), the VHF is still, and is likely to remain, the primary hailing and distress means on the water. As Larry (sort of) said, it is likely you won't have the cell number of that "meeting" vessel and it is a whole lot easier to grab a mike and announce "MAYDAY" to the world than dial the local CG district on your phone (OK, you can dial 911 and the police MIGHT be able to quickly transfer the call but the radio is still likely to be the best, fastest means to obtain assistance when the chips are down). Besides, how many times have you been in the middle of an important cell call only to drop the call? A cell phone can (and has) been of great assistance in some emergency situations, but I'll stick with the VHF and save the cell for backup. Enough of my soapbox!!! I yield the floor. As for VHF's themselves, I just purchased an ICOM M-502 w/ Command Mike for my new C-400. This was based on the recommendation of both my local West Marine dealer and the write up it received in a recent issue of Practical Sailor. Having said that John, any decent VHF will do, although I'd highly recommend you get a permanent VHF as opposed to a handheld as your first radio. If you've got a few extra bucks left at the end of the checkbook, get a handheld as a backup. Good luck and smooth sailing! Tim Leighton (S/V "Magic")

B

Bob

VHF a must

I agree that cell phones are great but no way do they replace a VHF. In addition to hailing other vessels and marinas, I always switch on the weather before casting off. On one occassion a few years ago we, along with a number of others, were making ready to leave on what looked like a clear day when a weather alert was broadcast. We stayed at the dock but within an hour a J-24 had capsized and the skipper drowned within 100 yards of the marina. I have also learned to leave it on when entering an unfamiliar anchorage since I once received a call "to the vessel entering ...: which alerted me to the fact that I was heading directly toward a grounding. Most of my sailing is in the New York Harbor and it is invaluable to be able to hear the intentions of the large commercial traffic.

L

Larry W.

Issues

William; The only issue I have is calling it as I see it. Anyone who seriously thinks they don't need a VHF on the water is a putz who will one day tie up scarce Coast Guard resources looking for them when they run aground or run out of fuel and have no means of reliable communications. And if you're going to use ten-dollar words in your posts, learn to spell them.

S

Scott

Pit Bull Mentality

Larry, Et Al, In every community, there will be those that find communication particularly troublesome. As Larry has demonstrated, the easiest method to overcome this handicap is to use boorish and antagonistic language. The individual asking the original question probably has little experience in a boat of any size and is simply trying to understand the benefits of a piece of equipment before spending money on one. A VHF radio, although not required by any official agency, is considered to be a necessary piece of safety equipment on a modern pleasure craft. The use of one is easily understood after reviewing the operations manual and some of the readily available material provided by the Coast Guard or Auxiliary. The fact that most every boat is equipped with one makes it valuable in that a rapid response is more forthcoming than with a discrete communication over a device of questionable dependability, considering the coverage area of cellular towers in your area. If you, John, are a novice, you might want to consult with the other operators in your area to find out what the predominate models are. Considering that this will probably be an initial installation, you might want to enlist the assistance of some of your dockmates regarding installation, also. I would personally recommend that you consider a DSC capable radio. When you become familiar with the more routine attributes of the radio, the digital calling characteristics will be a welcome bonus. Additionally, the safety feature of the immediately available digital call for help (with the ability to be connected to an NMEA output from a GPS that will add your location to the individualized distress call) adds to the overall desirability of the DSC option. Larry, you don't need to be demeaning to other listers who ask a novice question. If someone had been as rude to you when you asked your first questions, meeting you on a port/starboard crossing wouldn't be a consideration, because you probably would not have figured out how to get away from the dock. Oh, and Larry, if "individual" is a "ten dollar word" for you, you might want to consider vocabulary lessons.

W

William E.

Well said Scott

I agree with the need for a VHF. But, buy a model that is relative to your use of the boat - I only weekend once a month, so I optied only to by a base (cheaper) model. I do not need all the bells and whistles.

B

Bob Carlton

West Marine Catalog

John: The West Marine catalog has a pretty good review and summary of VHF radios which includes benefits, how and how well they work, and other related information. The review and summary has some $10 words but no cheap shots.

C

cole

stuck on stupid

At one time a VHF was the only way to contact other vessels and base stations. Now a cell phone isnt likely to be walked on by some CB throwback saying 10-4 comeback good buddy. And while a VHF has got weather reports(which is why I use mine) the cell phone is better. To reach the USCG try #cg also, just try to use a hand held first. That was the worst money i ever spent. That hand held couldnt make it across the street. Yes it was tuned properly. I think the rigging causes the signal to weaken by absorbing and shunting to ground. I still dont like the idea of putting or-5 watts next to my head. I have enough problems, Thank you. Plus the batterys are always discharged when you need it.So! what have we learned? It is wise to use every advantage. Get the VHF and use your cellphone and learn to use proper radio procedure. Scan channels 16

J

John

Thanks for the feedback

I wanted to thank everyone who provided thoughtful feedback. My initial impression of VHF was that this was a type of HAM radio, and that I would need to take the HAM radio certification before I used it. I can clearly see the value of VHF, saftey. Thanks again-

Status
Not open for further replies.