VHF Coax

F260SS

Oct 7, 2020
Catalina 275 Sport Grapevine
I should be taking delivery of my new to me 275 in the next couple of weeks. I have read that there is antenna coax run in the mast. Does anyone know what size they used and if there is already a connector? I'm going to add an antenna and need to order the pl-259 connector.

Thanks,

Bill

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
No doubt the VHF, coax and antenna were installed at commissioning or by a previous owner making it just a guess. Regardless, PL259 is the correct connector for any size coax with or without an adaptor to fit the skinny coax.

F260SS

Oct 7, 2020
The PL259 connectors are sized for the type of cable. Hoping someone can tell me the size of cable they used on the Catalina 275 Sport. The boat I'm getting doesn't have a VHF or antenna installed.

Sep 25, 2008
The PL259 connectors are sized for the type of cable. Hoping someone can tell me the size of cable they used on the Catalina 275 Sport. The boat I'm getting doesn't have a VHF or antenna installed.
No, that’s not correct. A PL259 is a standard coax connector. The only difference when using RG58 or 8x coax is the addition of an adapter.

F260SS

Oct 7, 2020
No, that’s not correct. A PL259 is a standard coax connector. The only difference when using RG58 or 8x coax is the addition of an adapter.
That's interesting. I've been a ham operator for several years and have run various sizes of coax in my trucks and home and they all required the connectors to be the correct size on the coax side.

Shakespeare sells at least three different connectors. One for RG58, one for RG8U/RG213, and one for RG8X.

Sep 25, 2008
That's interesting. I've been a ham operator for several years and have run various sizes of coax in my trucks and home and they all required the connectors to be the correct size on the coax side.

Shakespeare sells at least three different connectors. One for RG58, one for RG8U/RG213, and one for RG8X.
Sounds like you are looking at crimp connectors. Not a good choice for any cable with a flexible soft dielectric
Two suggestions particularly important for the marine environment:
1. Buy quality connectors such as Amphenol silver plated Teflon from a reputable source, and
2. Buy the ones noted above which include the adapter assuming you are using RG58 type coax.

The universe is full of how-to videos on soldering properly. As you are a fellow ham, I’d suggest you do the same for your home station too.

You might want to look at the loss characteristics of various coax at VHF which should convince you to replace what is there now with LMR 400 or RG 213 cable which also obviates the problem inherent in using coax connector adapters.

My call is K1VSK.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Don is correct. PL259, or better known as UHF connectors, come in one size. This size without the adapter will fit RG8 or RG213 or LMR400, or any 50Ω coax of the same size. The adapter is for the smaller coax RG8X or LMR240, or similar size coax. If I were to guess, I would say that your cable in the mast is probably RG8X. When you get the boat, measure the diameter and that will tell you what it 'could' be. Also look at the connector and see if there is an adapter.