Vetus Waterlock Muffler leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
I've just refurbed an O'day 39. Put a PSS drip-less shaft seal and tracked down a few thru hull leaks.
I'm getting picky here but the bilge is bone dry with the exception of a very small drip from what looks like is coming from the Vetus Waterlock muffler when the engine is running.
I tracked it down by placing paper under everything but could not spot the exact source. I go back this weekend and remove the mattresses from cabin on each side of the engine compartment so I can get at the access doors.
I hope to be able to spot the leak.
Any ideas as to where I should start looking? Access is limited. Typical easy access laying over the top of the engine could cause loss of important body parts.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
There's really only three possible places. The drain, and the hoses that run in and out of it. Chances are, a clamp is just loose, I see this occasionally..

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
and the least probable one, a crack in the body of the muffler.. which would include around an inlet or outlet nipple ..

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
and the least probable one, a crack in the body of the muffler.. which would include around an inlet or outlet nipple ..
That might be the most probable. The muffler spend two years in Wisconsin with out being winterized. Fortunately I get no exhaust smell.

The other probable is the drain. The transmission drain plug was not even hand tight. Maybe the muffler drain is the same.

Thanks all for the help.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Mmhmm. Don't make that little plastic cap but about hand tight. There's very little to it. And if the boat was blocked or winterized, it's more than possible the drain cap.

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Great help. I'm looking on line at the vetus line. I did not know it had a drain and I don't remember seeing a band around the circumference but I was not looking for either.

Status
Not open for further replies.