Vetus UFO Vents

May 25, 2020
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
Aloha Everyone,

I accidentally stepped on and broke the very brittle and yellowed plastic part of my vetus UFO vent on the fore deck of my 1985 Hunter 34.

I was able to to find a local Vetus dealer who ordered me a replacement part, SKU VE48.

On the Vetus website it showed a picture of VE48 including the o ring, apparently they are different parts and do not come together.

The original or ring broke as I was removing the old plastic. The dealer cannot find the o ring and cannot get an answer from Vetus.

-Does anyone happen to know the SKU for the O-Ring?

-Any one have any ideas or know of custom o-ring places? I did a couple online searches and havent found much, submitted a couple of requests and never heard back (I only need 2 o rings and I think theyre looking at large volume custom o ring orders) I went to and auto parts store and bought a generic o ring kit, none fit.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
3D1777E8-DCC6-4B10-810F-375E46C05E0F.jpeg

BCC0C644-F993-485C-B892-5A317C826DD2.png

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
WOW ! An O ring from a UFO (Unidentified Flying Object). I guess they are real after all.

But getting on to the "O" ring, making one is really quite easy. I was stuck for replacing the ones in my deck plates which are about 5" dia. and do not exist anywhere.

1679765548693.png

So, made some.

1. Measure the material diameter of your existing "O" ring.

2. Order up the material of the same dia. from Amazon.

3. Measure the circumference from the old ring.

4. Cut the ends as square as you can.

5. Join the ends with "Crazy Glue" and let sit for 24 hours just to be sure.

You will never see a stronger joint on such a tiny surface area. Trying to tear the joint apart will rip your hands to rat:poop:. If not, you didn't use genuine "Crazy Glue."

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
WOW ! An O ring from a UFO (Unidentified Flying Object). I guess they are real after all.

But getting on to the "O" ring, making one is really quite easy. I was stuck for replacing the ones in my deck plates which are about 5" dia. and do not exist anywhere.

View attachment 213990

So, made some.

1. Measure the material diameter of your existing "O" ring.

2. Order up the material of the same dia. from Amazon.

3. Measure the circumference from the old ring.

4. Cut the ends as square as you can.

5. Join the ends with "Crazy Glue" and let sit for 24 hours just to be sure.

You will never see a stronger joint on such a tiny surface area. Trying to tear the joint apart will rip your hands to rat:poop:. If not, you didn't use genuine "Crazy Glue."
Ralph,
Great write-up, except to suggestions :
I would buy the bulk O ring from a fantasthc industrial supplier in Ontario Spae Naur.
They specialize in selling high quality industrial items in “broken box” sizes for a small adder
In other words, they’ll sell you 5 feet of this, no problem.,
Their catalog (#14) is holy grail for sailors. Every imaginable stainless part in the universe at industrial , not marine, prices. It’s about 4” thick.
My suggestion is to go through their catalog, find a few extra goodies to get to their very reasonable minimum.
Sometimes they are out of stock of the printed catalogs. I have an extra if you need one. You just need to pay postage

second thing
Please consider cutting the o-ring on an angle.
More glue surface .
Just overlap them, take a very sharp razor blade, (cut your chum, not your thumb), and slice together

Jan 4, 2006
Please consider cutting the o-ring on an angle.
More glue surface .
Makes sense to increase the surface area but believe it or don't, I'd say the final strength is about 95% of the parent material strength even with a 90 deg. cut. I'd say absolute bull:poop: if I hadn't done it and seen for myself. Strong enough to damn near cut my hands.

Thanks for the recommendation on Spae Naur. Amazon.ca prices are astronomical compared to reality but I only needed their minimum amount. When I need a different dia. than I now have left over, I'll check them out.

May 25, 2020
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
Ralph, would you mind posting a link to the material you bought off amazon? Im having trouble finding it.
Thanks,

chris

Jan 4, 2006
Further on Spaenaur, their catalogue is now in electronic form for only 242MB at 1717 pages. There goes another Sunday afternoon.

Jan 4, 2006
Ralph, would you mind posting a link to the material you bought off amazon?
OMG, did I ever get hosed on that one. But, it was for the boat and I had to have it :

1679853384099.png

This is it on Amazon.ca :

1679853731098.png

Buna-N material in 10 ft. lengths didn't jump out at me on Amazon.com so you may have some searching to do.

Whatever you do, DO NOT have anything shipped across the border. I recently had to order some high class sanitary hose from Defender Industries as it's not sold here in the colonies. The order was about $100.00 US and the shipping and border charges added up to $95.00 US. But it was for the boat, so I guess it's OK.

Last edited: