Veterans of America in our club

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
US Army 70-71 reactivated 72-74 E6 Special Weapons/Crypto Served in Germany and at the Records Center in St Louis MO.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Hey Dixiedawg
Don't EVER forget, "He also serves who sits and waits." Guard duty in FRG is just as important as combat, maybe more so cause if the guards do it right you don't have to do combat..... I would note that we have not been to war in Europe in a while
Good Job and thanks for your service.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
6 years USN. 91-97

First 2 years in A and C school.
1 year on Diego Garcia BIOT
3 year Keflavik Iceland

Zero sea time, took a tour of a ship once.

Was an ET2 up for first when we moved on.

Aug 31, 2013
Hunter 26 Saylorville-Des Moines
US Navy 1993-1999, SWO(N) nuclear power officer on USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) aircraft carrier. 2 deployments with battle group to the Med/Adriatic/Suez & Gulf. Some of the best people I've ever worked with. Thanks to everyone for your service, and especially to those who made a dedicated career.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Naval Academy 1973. Deployed on USS Independence CV 62 twice to Med then off to Pensacola for flight school. Helicopter pilot served in squadrons HS-1, 5, 11, and 15. deployed again in Independence and a command tour of HS-5 on Eisenhower. More Med deployments, North Atlantic, South America. Ship's Navigator on Nimitz, Persian Gulf in '91. After retiring worked as a contractor repairing carriers and small boys in Puget Sound. The only thing better than our great ships, subs and aircraft are the magnificent crews that man them. Would do it all again in a heartbeat!

My dad was a corpsman in WWII and later became a Marine Corps Reserve Battalion Surgeon.

My father in law was PBY pilot in WWII.

My wife was LT USNR. I commissioned her on board USS Constitution
My daughter is a West Point Grad '07. Paratrooper, Sapper qualified, returned recently from Afghanistan, presented Bronze star for actions there. Transfers to 82nd Airborne in January.

Oct 17, 2009
Catalina 22mkII Newburgh, NY
USMMA '82. Active duty US Navy 82-86, 5 patrols aboard USS Daniel Webster SSBN 626. 20 years reserve duty. Retired CAPT USNR 2007.

Sep 29, 2012
Macgregor 26S It is trailored.
US Army Counterintelligence Agent, 1967-1970. US, Germany and Vietnam.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My most sincere thanks to those who served our country in the armed services. "Thanks" seems like such an inadequate word, particularly in light of recent events.
My bro was 1972 grad of USNA, I think company 34. Was a career officer . Dad a Navy Dentist I WWII.
I'm glad this thread started. I 'm learning about some of you and that gives depth to your posts. I was going to post something like this for Veterans Day. But an early start is good.

Sep 18, 2014
Wharram Tiki Belfast ME
USN 6yrs 1981-1987, schools for two years mostly at Corry Station FL, four years USS Carl Vinson CVN70 westpac and occasionally we came home to SF. Still have a little glow at night:)

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
1984-1988 U.S. army airborne engineer at Fort Bragg, NC. I'm with Dixiedawg. I don't feel comfortable either. We were in while Reagan couldn't pick a fight to save his arse. Everyone just backed off. Spent time building roads and rebuilding an airstrip in Honduras so the gun runners could do their thing between El Salvador and Nicaragua. I did go to recondo school and amphibious assault school at Norfolk.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
US Navy, 10 years:

USS Kidd DD 661, Shellback, Quemoy-Matsu crisis
Pearl Harbor, Makalapa Transmitter Site, Scuba Diver
Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station, Puerto Rico, Microwave Site, Air Control Tower Tech., Nuclear Weapons security Tech
Naval Training Center Great Lakes Ill.,Evening Supervisor Instructor, ET/A school Comm Branch, Electronics Tech. 1st Class

US Army, 11 years:
Ft Monmouth, Sworn in as Warrant Officer, Communications & Radar fields
Vietnam, Camn Rahn Bay, 128th Sig. Co. & Commander 128th Sig Maint. Det., Tuy Hoa
Germany, Electronic Maint. Facility OIC, 82 Techs
Vietnam, OIC, 42 Tech Shop, Bronze Star, 2.5 yrs total in 8 war campaigns
Ft Monmouth NJ, Warrant Advanced School,youngest WO to ever attend, only regular Army Officer in class
Cal St Univ Chico, One of 1st WO's selected by US Army to get a Bachelors degree.
Ft. Huachuca Az., Elect Maint. Advisor to Commanding General Worldwide Comm Command (Highest Electronic Maint. Officer position in Army) Maint. Officer for 11th Sig. Gp. (brigade)
Camp Humphries S. Korea, Shop OIC, 56 Electronic Techs
Ft Ord CA, Placed on inactive status, Chief Warrant Officer 3, Regular Army (lifetime rank)

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Ssgt USAF 1981-1988.
554 CESHR Osan AB South Korea,
820 CESHR Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, NV,
AFGL, Space Command, Hanscom AFB Bedford, MA

Tom

Sep 25, 2008
Lancer 28 T Great Lakes
Army.
1967-1969
Viet Nam 68-69
18th Military Police brg 716 M.P. bat.
company A

raylee

Jun 14, 2014
Crew on Catalina 309 FMB
USMC 1969- 1974 0311 Infantry Rifleman D/1/25
Sgt weapons Plt Parris IS, Camp Lejeune, Camp Pendleton, Oceanside
Training NCO
Semper-Fi
Ray

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
U.S. Navy, Newport, RI Dental Clinic / Dental Tech....1968-1972. Pat

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
US Army Infantry, '84-'88. Kitzingen, Germany. Enlisted on my 17th birthday.

It always makes me a little uncomfortable when people thank me. I didn't earn it. My outfit was the undisputed armpit of the US armed forces. We didn't do anything high speed or hard core ... aside from imbibery and debauchery. We took those two things pretty seriously, though. :)
Don't apologize, at least you went in all the way, not like some of these posters who were really just avoiding the draft in reserves or rotc, and now they want to be called a veteran...........LOL . I rarely admit my time 74-77 as I was higher than a kite for most of it but I was packin heat if the Russians did want the Rhineland.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Don't apologize, at least you went in all the way, not like some of these posters who were really just avoiding the draft in reserves or rotc, and now they want to be called a veteran...........LOL . I rarely admit my time 74-77 as I was higher than a kite for most of it but I was packin heat if the Russians did want the Rhineland.
those same NG and reservist have the same exposure as any regular does so what part does not make them a vet the last time I checked they were all over the Middle East

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
those same NG and reservist have the same exposure as any regular does so what part does not make them a vet the last time I checked they were all over the Middle East
The difference is because there hasn't been a draft since 1972, ROTC during Vietnam era was the easiest way to avoid the draft, and used by thousands, not much different then heading to Canada for an extended vacay. But in the end they were proven to have made the correct decision, just shouldn't be asking to be saluted 50years later like the poor shmucks who got blown to pieces because they couldn't afford to go to college.