Vesper XB8000- No GPS Signal

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
System is less than a year old and has worked flawlessly until this trip. Used precisely a month ago and noticed a very slow satellite lock (like 20 minutes). Went to take off for my week trip and nothing. LED flashes yellow and has for almost a week. Hooked up to it with my computer and the GPS tab shows “waiting to acquire “. Software up to date. Friend had a brand new Vesper antenna (exactly like mine) and same performance when hooked up.
I am looking for input on the following (and any other ideas you might have):
-the crappy Garmin support site mentions reading the data from other models to see if the gps is actually doing anything but not on the 8000. Anyone have insight to this?
- I have come across mentions of a “hard reboot” where wires are grounded but not a procedure. Anyone have a tech note on this?

thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
the crappy Garmin support site mentions reading the data from other models to see if the gps is actually doing anything but not on the 8000. Anyone have insight to this?
At least on the B&G line of chart plotters you can select which device provides data. In the system settings there is "source" menu choice in this area you can select which device is providing position data. If the CP sees the data from Vesper it will show up in a list. There may also be a choice for displaying AIS information.

The prime suspect is the network connection has gone bad. Are you running on N2K or 0183?

Dec 28, 2015
At least on the B&G line of chart plotters you can select which device provides data. In the system settings there is "source" menu choice in this area you can select which device is providing position data. If the CP sees the data from Vesper it will show up in a list. There may also be a choice for displaying AIS information.

The prime suspect is the network connection has gone bad. Are you running on N2K or 0183?
No options like you describe. The antenna coax plug’s directly into the unit. I believe it does both. It sees the network/backbone and the network appears to be working properly as I’m getting wind data through it. The Vesper connects via WiFi to my Furuno radar/WiFi network which is the primary. I use my IPad as a router and have it connected to my aux BT GPS recieved and everything works well except the issue notes and my wind sensor digital display gives me a “data missing “ error because it can’t calculate TWA or TWS. It needs the GPS from the Vesper. I believe this is a Vesper unit issue. Hope that makes sense.
I guess you could say I'm doing what you described with the BT recieved but it isn’t a part of the network and doesn’t backfired through the IPAD.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I had no luck with locating the reset info.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Mike you'll likely find far more Vesper knowledgeable users over at www.cruisersforum.com. Register for free. Ask on the proper subforum: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/; there's also one for navigation, but that's why I hate so many subforums.

There are a lot of helpful trustworthy skippers there, just a few nut cases but you pick them out right away.

Good luck.

Otherwise maybe try panbo but I don't know if they have a forum.

Jan 11, 2014
No options like you describe. The antenna coax plug’s directly into the unit. I believe it does both. It sees the network/backbone and the network appears to be working properly as I’m getting wind data through it. The Vesper connects via WiFi to my Furuno radar/WiFi network which is the primary. I use my IPad as a router and have it connected to my aux BT GPS recieved and everything works well except the issue notes and my wind sensor digital display gives me a “data missing “ error because it can’t calculate TWA or TWS. It needs the GPS from the Vesper. I believe this is a Vesper unit issue. Hope that makes sense.
I guess you could say I'm doing what you described with the BT recieved but it isn’t a part of the network and doesn’t backfired through the IPAD.
The antenna coax simply provides the GPS data to the Vesper. There is a separate N2K plug, a USB plug, VHF anntenna connection, and a Power/NMEA 0183 connection. The Vesper also has its own wifi hotspot that can connect up to 5(?) devices and all the available data is on that wifi connection. The Vesper can also translate N2K data to 0183 data and vice-versa. It was a great unit until Garmin discontinued it.

Try disconnecting the BT GPS receiver from the iPad and connect the iPad to the Vesper WiFi. I am not aware that the iPad can serve as a router, I thought it could only connect to the WiFi network. Try disconnecting the radar from the network and reconnecting it.

Even if Garmin had good support, with your setup, they would blame all the other vendors for the problem and tell you you are on your own.

Dec 28, 2015
The antenna coax simply provides the GPS data to the Vesper. There is a separate N2K plug, a USB plug, VHF anntenna connection, and a Power/NMEA 0183 connection. The Vesper also has its own wifi hotspot that can connect up to 5(?) devices and all the available data is on that wifi connection. The Vesper can also translate N2K data to 0183 data and vice-versa. It was a great unit until Garmin discontinued it.

Try disconnecting the BT GPS receiver from the iPad and connect the iPad to the Vesper WiFi. I am not aware that the iPad can serve as a router, I thought it could only connect to the WiFi network. Try disconnecting the radar from the network and reconnecting it.

Even if Garmin had good support, with your setup, they would blame all the other vendors for the problem and tell you you are on your own.
Appreciate the input I’ve isolated the Vesper to itself with the GPS antenna hooked to it with the same yellow flashing light and no signal showing on the application and computer hooked up to it via usb.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Appreciate the input I’ve isolated the Vesper to itself with the GPS antenna hooked to it with the same yellow flashing light and no signal showing on the application and computer hooked up to it via usb.
I presume the connections on the coax look clean, and the wire doesn’t look damaged in any way? The way you describe the increased acquisition time and eventual failure sounds like a bad analog connection, not a binary software thing.

Dec 28, 2015
I presume the connections on the coax look clean, and the wire doesn’t look damaged in any way? The way you describe the increased acquisition time and eventual failure sounds like a bad analog connection, not a binary software thing.
The single connection to the unit is clean and looks brand new. It actually hasn't been disconnected since originally connected. I ran the wire run and all looks in order. The coax cable runs directly into the bottom of the antenna unit and is potted into it with no serviceable connections. The new antenna performed the same.
I contacted Garmin Support. On hold for only about 5 minutes. To be honest I was very happy with there attention to detail and the time he took troubleshooting. When we got to the end of the troubleshooting algorithm he said he'd have to contact a higher level support for further work. He emailed me confirmation of our phone call and within a bout 15 minutes I received another email outlining returning the unit for replacement. A deposit was required that will be refunded on them receiving it. They are shipping me a new one today. Although the unit seems to have failed, I'm very surprised and happy with Garmin's support. I was hesitant reading all of the stories but wanted to let it be known that they stepped up without any real questions on warrantee details. He just asked were I bought it and when. No requirement to send in proof.

My original was shipped already programmed with my MMSI. I assumed that a shop had to do it but it appears the unit can be programmed with the MMSI on my own. Anyone have experience with this pertaining specifically to the Vesper 8000.

Jan 11, 2014
Its been awhile, however, my unit was programmed at the vendor.

Garmin probably knows your MMSI as it has the records from Vesper when they bought the company.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Glad to hear that you had a good experience with Garmin support. I bought my XB-8000 a month or so before Garmin bought Vesper and my heart sank because I knew what that meant. It wasn't long before the Borg assimilated Vesper and disco'd the product line. Vesper was a great company. Garmin not so much. Next time I upgrade I'll buy anything but Garmin.

Dec 28, 2015
Update. I received the new Vesper yesterday and installed tonight. LED turned green immediately after I programmed the MMSI. All is well with the world. Programming was must a situation of inputting the MMSI number on the primary screen of the utility program. I am concerned with the failure of a $900 product that stays dry in the cabin and that was less than a year old. We will see how the new one goes.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sounds Great ! They did the right thing.