Very Lite Air

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alan

Well, we just got done doing a 12 mile lite air race. We were the scratch boat in Division 4. With breezes from 3 to 7 knots we not only won our division but caught and past some of the "speed" merchants in the divisions that started ahead of us. We pasted the likes of C&C99, X-332, J 105, S&S 38, and the entire Division 2. Anyone who says that Hunters aren't good in lite air hasn't raced against us. At the party afterwards, some of the other skippers were remarking how fast we were in the very lite conditions. I'm now getting offers to buy my boat, but with all the hard work and upgrades we've got in her I can't think of what I could possibly replace her with.

A

Andy

Braggin' Rights

Sounds like you have earned your bragging rights alrighty. Now, do tell- What Hunter were you sailing? How empty were the stowage areas? and most of all Share the wealth! What's your secret, strategy, or style?

A

Alan

My boat

...is a Legend 35.5. Of coarse, both water tanks are empty and the fuel tank is only 1/2 full. I carry as little weight as possible which means no Bruce hanging fron the bow. Instead a Fortress stowed below deck. Our sails are all triradial kevlar, the mains roach is maxed out, the backstay has been upgraded to spectra with a flicker at the masthead as have all the halyards. And the bottom is race smooth and clean. I think the BIG secret is learning to drive the boat well. It has taken me many years to get this boat dialed in, but driving is very hard IF you do it well. It takes consentration and a good feel for the boat. For example, keeping the boat on course with as little movement of the big barn door as possible and crew weight is very important in placement. Much of this past lite air race the crew spent time on the leeward rail which gave us about 15 degrees of heel which I have found is optimal for my boat.

B

Bill O'Donovan

Small advice

The reduction of weight in the fuel tank is not worth the tradeoff of condensation and potential algae. I'd recommend topping off to preclude that, to keep the engine purring. Otherwise, attaboy for all the weight removal. I keep all interior equipment off except June-August when we're cruising overnight. Less weight does make her faster.

E

Ed Allen

dont be to humble

There are alot of great tips here in making your boat win. If others went to all the effort you have we would see a lot more hunters in the winners cirlce. Great Job!

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
How Sweet It Is!

I'm sure the finish and the party afterwards will be remembered for a long time - at least until the next time! Unfortunately, with a finish like that I'm sure everybody will be gunnin' for you in subsequent races. Your preparation is what's needed to be consistently competitive: good sails, race-smooth bottom, get the weight out, etc. etc. Question: did you do any faring on the bottom - keel/hull joint, keel, and rudder? Especially, did you fair out the aft edge of the keel and rudder? Did you do anything with the rudder gap like a closure flap? Almost forgot - what PHRF handicap did they give you? Bet your crew is feeling good about this success too!

A

Alan

Thanks...

everyone!! We've won this race for the 3rd time, but never overrunning the division ahead. It's very true that preperation is a big part of going fast and a good crew is also important. The local PHRF committee reviewed our handicap last year and chopped 3 seconds off our rating, but we are still beating boats with ratings 20 seconds lower than ours and a few with 40 seconds lower. My wife is getting fed up with the silver that we keep comming home with, now totalling 38. As for my keel, it's a custom job that we had made in '95. The new keel made a dramatic improvement in the boats performance, pointing higher, accelerating faster, and with much less leeway. What more could you ask for? I dive the bottom every week and it stays spotless and fast. Because I do this job weekly, it takes all of 1/2 hour to wipe down with a sponge. My PHRF rating is now 141. The other H35.5's in the area rate 149 and 151 and they never even get close.

D

Del Wiese

good PHRF!

I have an 89 Legend 37 and while we are winning a few races in the two years I've owned her, I am still learning how to make the boat go. Your hints are appreciated. The local PHRF committee has my rating at 117 which seems low compared to those you mention for the 35.5. Are there any 37s in your area?

C

Cliff Ruckstruhl

Alan

Where you the 35.5 that had Mars Metal make a new keel for. I had folowed the thread on the 35.5 thread while it was going. Did any more boats get the same keel? We race our 28.5 and when we think about moving up I look at the Hunter's with the fin keel and have not giving much thought to the boats with the Bulb Wing Keel. My thoughts are the Bulb wing keel will not perform as well as a regular fin keel. I have some frinds that just bought a 33.5 a limited production boat by Hunter and it has the Bulb Wing. I am looking forward to doing some up wind testing against them soon to see how we stack up. Good job on getting you boat up to speed. I think some of the Hunter boats are some of the best Cruiser/Racers boat out ther. We are getting close to the silver and have been in the top 4 more than not. Just need to get better crew work to get to the next level. Cliff Hunter 28.5 "Red Dog"

A

Alan

Yep!!

..the 37 is a boat with a great deal of potential. Locally they rate about the same (117). I've raced the 37 and she has very good speed. The biggest problem with all the Legends is the keel. Put a good keel on her and you'll have one fine boat on your hands. Sounds like your beginning to get the hang of it! Don't give up, keep working at it and you will realize silver. Everyone thinks that driving is the easy job. It is if you don't care to win, but to drive well is very hard and takes time and consentration. If a trimmer makes a mistake it costs a few seconds, if a driver doesn't drive well, it costs every second you're on the course!

A

Alan

Cliff

..guilty, I'm the one. I'm surprised that not too many skippers were interested in a really fine keel. When I did it, there was no feedback so I bit the bullet and went for it, but after playing guinea pig and reporting how well it worked out not many showed interest. I think it's the same reason not many of our boats are raced. They don't know what they're missing.

C

Cliff Ruckstruhl

Alan

I am racing a 28.5, one of the reason's we bought the 28.5 is we like Hunter boats and it did not have that awful bulb wing keel. We did a race a while back and had a 35.5 mess with us for a while and we were able to out point him and match his speed. We are starting to look at a boat in the 35 range. I do like the 35.5 but hate the keel so we are thinking about the 34 that has a fin keel. Ther is also the 35 a different boat than the 35.5 but it's 6'6" draft will be a problem on Lake Erie. But I like the boat better then the 34. I forget what you ended up with in draft and what was your final cost in the up grade? Email me off site cliffr@sbcglobal.net I would like to here more about you upgrade. We like the 35.5. better than the 34 but not the keel. Cliff

C

Cliff Ruckstruhl

Old number

I have an older PHRF book and it show's the 43 as a 81 but that is in New England. If check on the Web and do a search under PHRF you will find some links with newer info. Cliff

A

Alan

PHRF for H43..

...in YRA-LIS Long Island is 114. HTR 43 114| |6/96 |6/96 |95|15.2|50.0|50.0|17.7|42.5|38.0|14.0| 5| 23,800| 7,600|2,160|Fractional, bulb/wing keel, no backstay, | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |B&R rig. These are the specs they have for the 43 which include the I,J,P,E and displacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.