venture 22 + trailer weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

william

I am looking at a venture 22 as a daysailor for a local lake. Can someone tell me the aproximate weight of the boat and trailer? I know it is a bit more than my jeep is actually rated for but i only have 10 flat miles to the lake and know my jeep will pull 2000# if i behave myself. tia, william

M

Matthew

You'll be a bit heavy

Your 22 will be just a touch lighter than my 25 (surprisingly the weight difference is only a couple of hundred pounds). I estimate mine at about 2800#. The boat is 2100, trailer at 500 to 600 and misc. other stuff (the really bad part) at 100 to 200 more. Your 22 will be about 1800 plus 500 to 600 for the trailer. When I tow mine to the marina and back in spring and fall I take care to strip it as light as possible (I'm 30 miles away) and make sure I've got the weight on the tongue rather than the back end (jerk that outboard off -- better on the transom anyway). Your limiting factor will be stopping distance rather than pulling power. Stay out of overdrive, be defensive and leave plenty of room. If your vehicle can coax between 2500 and 3000 you should be ok. With my tow vehicle I wouldn't go all day, but I feel safe enough for the twice a year move. Be careful, good luck and enjoy.

W

william

Thanks

Appreciate the info. I was estimating about 2000+ but couldn't find any specs on the forum. I would plan to make 2 trips...Boat stripped and then home to get the rest of the gear. It's a pretty easy stretch of good road to the marina.

G

Greg

Pulling with a Jeep

I just sold my 1951 M38. It was built to tow over 8,000 lbs. But I don't think it would have stopped it. If you have one of the new jeep wranglers, it will tow any Mac fine. Some States require trailer brakes on trailers over 2,000 lbs. Surge brakes work best on boat trailers. Good idea to have trailer brakes when ever the trailer weighs more than the towvehicle. Keep the tonge weight at least 10% of the trailer weight. 15-20% is even better. 10% works as long as you are at slow speeds and wind doesn't get under the bow. It's the wind getting under the bow that makes boat trailers sway more than campers. Sway occures when the hitch lifts the back of the tow vehicle. Increase tow vehicle weight helps prevent this too. SUV's van's and pick ups with campertops help keep the wind from lifting the bow too. Keep the top on your jeep when towing. For long trips and hard pulls, or if it will be hot while towing, get an extra tranny oil cooler so you don't burn up you tranny. Don't use over drive if you have it (all my jeeps have been pre '60 and standard)

W

william

Thanks Greg

i had a f-150 that would easily pull my H-23 around. it was about 3500 with gear which was probably overload even for the f-150 had i checked. am now wishing i still had the old ford. My wrangler is a 95 2.5L, 4cyl and would easily pull my WWP-15. (it's of course geared like a jeep!) i estimated that was about 1800 with gear. i made sure i kept plenty of weight on the tongue. Trailer brakes may be an option now tho. I've considered them but have never felt the need as long as i left allot of distance, kept my speed down, and my head up. william

Oct 25, 2005
Macgregor 22' Long Beach
Trailer weight

I have a 1971 Venture that I load up to weigh 3,000#+ including trailer. I pull it over hills and fairly long distances (the longest from Sacramento to Long Beach, more than 350 miles) with my 2001 Toyota Highlander, V-6. When pulling hills I lock-out overdrive. I get 15 to 16 MPG when pulling trailer. I also lock-in 2nd gear start up (FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE)when pulling boat and trailer out of the water. Novelman

G

Greg

F150

Just asked my friend who pulls a horse trailer with their F150. It's rated to pull 5,000 lbs with up to 500 lbs tonge weight. Wrangler I was told is good for towing 3,500 lbs with up to 250 lbs tonge weight. 4000 lbs with trailer brakes.

W

william

Greg: Jeep GAWR v GAVR

interesting weights. given the 4000# figure i'm now a bit confused by the ratings on the door on my wrangler. i have a GAWR front of 2200, GAWR rear of 2500 and a GAVR total of 4300. if i read that correctly, (and i never can remember how these ratings work), this says i can put 300# on the tongue and a total trailer weight, (or gross loaded gear weight including trailer), of 1800# to equal the 4300# GAVR. can you clearify? i don't doubt that i could get 4000# moving but i'd be pretty skeptical of stopping it in a timely mannor. definetly talking trailer brakes if 4000# is true. thats about twice the weight of my jeep. thanks, william

E

Ed

Don't sweat it

William, I think you will be just fine with your Wrangler and the 22. These boats were designed to trail well and the heavy keel is low, keeping the center of gravity down. They also tend to be light on the tongue, which could cause dangerous fishtailing. Add weight to the bow or take it off the stern (motor) if this is a problem. If you feel the rig start to fishtail, slowly pull over and rearrange the cargo. Other than that, plan ahead for stops and you should be OK. Have fun. Colorado is a fun place to sail.

G

Greg

GAWR GAVR

Gross Axel Weight Registered and Gross Average Vehicle Registered. There also should be listed a GVW Gross Vehicle Weight and a GCW or GCVW which is Gross combined Vehicle Weight. This is what decides your Trailer weight towable. GCVW-GVW=Trailer weight. They use GAVR in states that tax by Vehicle weight. It includes the dry vehicle weight plus passenger weight (average x number of passengers the vehicle carries) plus gas, oil, cargo. I don't know what they use for an average persons weight any more. Used to be 150 lbs. Best way to see what is a good guide line is to read up in the towing section of the owners hand book that comes with the car. I still would reccomend trailer brakes when the trailer weighs as much as the tow vehicle or more. And remember as you add tonge weight you have to reduce passenger and cargo weight from the rear of the vehicle too. Just think of it this way, if 2 adult guys can ride in the back seat and not affect the way the car handles, then 300 lbs of tonge weight isn't that much different. Just don't do both at the same time. PS for comercial vehicles GCVR, GCVW or GCRW is what you pay taxes on and is your maximum gross weigt of the whole rig. Roughly it's Gross combined registered vehicle weight. What you register the vehicle to weigh and what it can weigh have nothing to do with each other, other than it would be a waste of money to register the GCVW over the vehicles real capacity.

W

william

Thanks All...

Now I've just got to go look at the boat and see if she is all the owner makes her out to be :). Sounds like I shouldn't have any problems towing her. I have always heard good things about the venture 22. Regards, William

Status
Not open for further replies.