Venture 22 Rescue Project

Jun 17, 2020
Venture 222 93333 Grand Isle, VT
Hey Brett,

If I get some dry weather this weekend I'll pop the cover back off and post some more pics of the pop-top in use, including the struts-you'll need those. I tried drawing a diagram on my phone but I think that would only add to any confusion, it stunk.

I'm actually glad that my boat needs this much work, I see it as an opportunity to improve my skills and actually know what's going on with things, instead of just trusting that it was done right before. You might want to check your bow eye and backing block, too. Mine had spent several decades getting wet and turning into a wooden sponge. Replaced with new plastic one from Catalina Direct from the C22, much more secure.

Attachments

Nov 30, 2020
Macgregor 22 Dania, FL
Those prop rods go in at a 45 degree angle from the deck in front of the pop-top to under the top. Problem is, I takes two people to lift the top while a third sneaks under to put in the props. Pretty hard to do when you have a crew of two.

CV

Jun 17, 2020
Those prop rods go in at a 45 degree angle from the deck in front of the pop-top to under the top. Problem is, I takes two people to lift the top while a third sneaks under to put in the props. Pretty hard to do when you have a crew of two.

CV
Ha, I have managed to do it myself a time or two, using what I'm sure is a very healthy technique where you put the weight on your neck/shoulders and then try to stand up. It's very perilous, to the point where I just didn't bother with it until I added the gas springs.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston

CV
A trick I stole off of the Rhodes 22 design is to add a padeye to the top of the pop-top and then use the main halyard to raise the pop-top. Cleat it off and secure everything then release the halyard. I suppose it would not be too hard to add a cheekblock about 5' up the side of the mast and an additional cleat and have a designated pop-top halyard. Run it back close to the winch.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021
Macgregor Venture 22 Brooklyn
I plan to redo everything with new backing plates. I was surprised to see most of cleats had no backing plates. I replaced the backing plate behind the mainsheet block port aft. I also replaced the ubolt/backing for the backstay.
My first real rehab pass will be putting backing plates everywhere and rebedding all the deck hardware. I will be using plywood that has been hit with totalboat penetrating epoxy. Yes certain plastics or stainless steel would be better, but I happen to have many board feet of skinny little pieces of plywood left as scrap from another project. The strips are generally 3-4 inches wide. Perfect for backing plates most places.

Where I need something wider I have a few other scraps around. As I already have the epoxy from some woodwork on the Ericson 27 this will be the low cost way for me to go. Have to rehab her low cost. Been out of work for a while.

Mar 15, 2021
What about decking inside the cabin next to the CB trunk. Is there supposed to be slatted decking? I saw that in one photo on line, but did not know if it was factory or DIY.

Jun 17, 2020
What about decking inside the cabin next to the CB trunk. Is there supposed to be slatted decking? I saw that in one photo on line, but did not know if it was factory or DIY.
I don't know if they had anything originally, mine is just some previous owner's DIY rubber drainage tiles.

Mar 15, 2021
I can see that when I get done with her Bottoms Up will be better than new. Some of the things from the factory are not to my liking, like lack of backing plates almost everywhere!

Mar 15, 2021
Now to figure how to automate the pumping of all the "compartments". Perhaps I will get some inspiration before I reconstruct the interior.

Mar 15, 2021
I am leaning to a self priming pump and a manifold system with a hose running to each compartment. Being a ship sort of guy I see some value in "water tight" compartments even if it is like the titanic and they do not go all the way up.

I found a can-run-dry self priming pump here -> https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-6890...d=1616107500&sprefix=12+volt+,aps,261&sr=8-57

that looks like a possible solution married to a home brew manifold. The down side is not automatic as one has to line up the manifold.

On the other hand there are some small $5 pumps on amazon that could be in each compartment with their own sensors to turn on and check valves. I expect if I build the sensors myself and can find cheap check valves an automated system could be had for less than $100. That would allow unattended pumping of each compartment. Of course if I get it to stop leaking unattended pumping will not be needed I would think.

I am curious what others do about pumping. I am so used to a boat where everything ends up in the hollow at the back of the keel for easy pumping from one place.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
When I owned a V22, I carried one of these

1616165168585.png

and added a longer hose so I could reach the companionway with the idea that I could pump into the cockpit.

But I never ended up with enough water to ever need to use it so I eventually gave the pump to my son.

What I ended up doing most of the time was to use a sponge like this...
1616165284611.png

and squeeze the water into a bucket.

I've heard told that the most effective bilge pump is a panicking man with a bucket.

Are you wanting manual bilge pumps because you are afraid of sinking? It seems to me like you are fixing a problem that does not exist. If that is your concern, I'd focus on the floatation foam situation in your boat. If you ever did get swamped by a breaking sea and your boat filled... your bilge pumps wont matter but the foam will allow you to survive long enough to bail.

Jun 17, 2020
Ha, yeah, for me it would be for the curiosity factor, probably not something I would actually do. Hopefully I can solve the rainwater issue, in the meantime the hand pump does get the occasional workout. I also use pieces of sponge to stuff in the cockpit drain and keel cable hose to cut down on splashback

Mar 15, 2021
I know if I get the floatation fully replaced in the boat she will not sink. My issue is I really do not want water collecting and rotting the wood work again. Yes I plan to work out where it is coming from and stop it, but that can be a long process. I have spent more than a year on doing just that same job on my Ericson 27 and she still leaks above the water line. I am still getting wood damaged. On her that is expensive wood!

Mar 15, 2021
Like I said for me it is more about not having h2o build up in the hull from rain ingress and rot the wood. If I defeat the h2o incursion that will not be an issue.

Jun 17, 2020
Like I said for me it is more about not having h2o build up in the hull from rain ingress and rot the wood. If I defeat the h2o incursion that will not be an issue.
I forgot it's such a shlep to your boat. You might want to try covering up your suspect ingress areas with a tarp for now- that helped a little when I kept my boat parked at the marina ~50 miles from my house. I used to have to drive out there every couple weeks to pump out the rainwater, and at least in my case it was on the trailer, no worries it was gonna sink or anything.

(I bought a used Ez loader single axle trailer and converted it, if you have any questions about that.)

Since you aren't near the boat, at least a temporary automatic system wouldn't be the worst idea.

Mar 15, 2021
Yep......it is a trek. I hope to get it moved to anchor near the marina where my Ericson is in April, but it will still mean a row out to it. Can not afford dockage for two.

We had 30 hours of rain. I expect I will be at the boat in the next 5 days. It will be interesting to see what my sealing so far has done.