Venture 21 Spinnaker - How?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Cordes

I just bought a 1977 Venture 21 last year, and I haven't figured out how to hoist the cruising spinnaker. A whisker pole came with the boat, but I can't figure out how to run the guys or exactly where I should hang the pole. Can anybody get me started on where to look for info? Tim, V21 "Sea Monkey"

S

Scott Davis

Tim

Just cruising the webpages here and found your questions on spinnaker set up. Didn't see anyone helping you out, so I will give it a try. First you should rig up another halyard (don't use your jib unless you just gotta) Second, you should have a ring on the forward part of your mast about chest high off the deck to attach your pole to. If you don't have the ring, West Marine sell them for about $10. Put one end of the pole on the windward spinnaker sheet, and the other on the ring at the mast. You can rig a uphaul to hold the pole up, and a down haul to keep it from rising if you need to. Cruising spinnakers don't really need a pole at all "they say" Your spinnaker sheets need to be twice the length of the boat, one for each side. Rig them outside the lift lines and back to your rearmost blocks "usually aft cockpit" and to the winchs. To jibe the sail, you fall off straight down wind, let out the sail until its out in front of the boat, then pull it in on the other side. If you go to the Hunter web page you can download detailed instructions on rigging these spinnakers. Hope that helps you some. Can email me at "wsdavis@fmtc.net" if you have more Q's. Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.