Ventilation for Catalina 25

AJN77

Oct 16, 2020
Catalina 25 New Jersey
Looking for ideas from anyone who has added ventilation to their 25. She's going to primarily live at the dock for now, so I'm looking for options to keep air moving without leaving hatches open. I was thinking of adding a solar intake to the front hatch, and two exhausts, one in the head and one in the galley. Also considering dorades for intake instead of the powered fans, but since my near term plans primarily involve daysailing, I don't know that those would be necessary or even particularly helpful. Thoughts?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I had a 1981 C25 for 13 years. Lived in a slip all that time. Never did anything. I have always hesitated putting holes in hatches, never have, I've heard too many bad things that happen down the line.
You might also ask at the C25 forum, they have nothing but C25 skippers.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Whatever you do, do not drill holes in the bow end of the deck. Borrowed an h34 from a friend and off the coast of Atlantic City, NJ we dipped the bow under a wave and water came gushing down two air scoops located by the hatch. The boat handled it fine but we had to pump out a few gallons of water from the cabin sole.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Assuming you have shore power at your dock, I used 4 12vdc PC cooling fans placed on a starboard and fastened to an aft hatch that was just cracked open, pulling fresh air in and pushing it out of a forward hatch. The 4 fans are powered by one 12vdc adaptor and does not drain the house batteries.

Jan 2, 2017
Catalina 25 Wilson NY
I had mildew problems when I bought the boat 5 years ago. I simply cut a ventilation opening in one of the hatch boards, and fitted it with a screened louver. Total cost was under $15.00, and it totally solved the problem here on Lake Ontario, where the summers are hot and humid, and the winters are snowy.

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
Had an Oday 25 with no vents of any kind for 9 years and no mildew. However, I tracked down every leak so the boat was dry (as in dust in the bilge). If you have no leaks a louvered vent in a hatch board would be more than adequate

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We owned a 1987 Catalina 25 TRSK for 10 years, we put a solar vent in the top of the head and it work fine, no problems.

Jan 24, 2018
Catalina 25 Whiskeytown Lake
Previous owner installed a Marinco solar vent in the forward hatch over the V-berth. I set it for exhaust, pulling air through the cabin. Seems to pull fine through vents in hatch boards and cockpit. No mildew. After replacing the unit recently, I did remove the battery so that it only runs in daylight. Hoping that prolongs its life a bit.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
The Batteries were replaceable on the solar vent we had, charged by the sun during the day and ran all night- Batteries must be on the edge of dying.
It was not like a 26" box fan but it did work :p.

Jan 24, 2018
Catalina 25 Whiskeytown Lake
The Batteries were replaceable on the solar vent we had, charged by the sun during the day and ran all night- Batteries must be on the edge of dying.
It was not like a 26" box fan but it did work :p.
Yes, the batteries are replaceable but I’ve found the motor is what goes in a year or two When run 24/7. Without the battery, it runs fine in daylight and doesn’t pull cold night air in either. Hoping the motor lasts twice as long.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Make a copy of top hatch board and put computer fans in it wired to a cord with 12v cirigette lighter type connection just inside next to hatch put fans to pull hot humid air out highest point boat.