Vent line kinked

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
In January we purchases a 1989 Hunter 30 and I finally got around to troubleshooting a restricted fuel vent. I assumed it would be clogged with a mud dobber nest (A small wasp like I found in our potable water vent.) When I started pulling things apart I found a plastic tie holding it in a kinked position. Once I straightened out the hose and filled the tank it worked perfectly. It even has a whistle installed so I can hear when the tank gets full (the whistling stops.)

Any idea why someone would kink the fuel vent? The tie had clearly been there for some time.

Ken

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Maybe they didn't like the whistle. More likely they had a problem with water in the tank and thought it came in through the vent. While that's certainly possible water is more likely to enter through a bad or missing O ring on the fill cap. Any hardware store will have those for probably less than a dollar.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Maybe they just wanted to secure the hose without realizing that with time it could kink it.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Maybe a Loop?

All my boats had a loop in the vent line before the through hull, presumably to keep splashes from getting into the tank. If that's what you are referring to, I think you want that loop there. If it was a kink, thus blocking the vent, that's another story.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I believe that was done at the factory. Like Rick mentioned, I think that this was to prevent water from getting into the vent hose (ultimately in the tank).

You may want to consider redoing yours with a larger loop to prevent the kink!? :confused:

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I have no problem having a loop there. In fact it's still there. I just couldn't see why it would be strapped into a kink. I see no reason to kink a vent line. Having said that it clearly must have leaked enough air that the engine didn't stall. Fueling was the problem. It tended to spit fuel back at you. It works well now.
Ken

Apr 5, 2015
Islander 26 Little Creek Navy Base
I have no problem having a loop there. In fact it's still there. I just couldn't see why it would be strapped into a kink. I see no reason to kink a vent line. Having said that it clearly must have leaked enough air that the engine didn't stall. Fueling was the problem. It tended to spit fuel back at you. It works well now.
Ken
Someone wasn't paying attention when they were working on it. I can't imagine anyone intentionally kinking vent line.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Someone wasn't paying attention when they were working on it. I can't imagine anyone intentionally kinking vent line.
:thumbup:

We sometimes forget about plastic and its strengths.

I had that whistle too until a bunch of dogs kept running to watch me fill my tank.:stirthepot:
Jim...

PS: BTW mud doppers don't like RAID or diesel fumes.