Vent cover for Nicro solar ventilator

Jun 21, 2016
Hunter 356 Annapolis, MD
I am looking for a replacement for the plastic vent cover of a 4-inch, Nicro Day&Night 2000 solar-powered ventilator, which I stepped on and broke. Marinco tells me they stopped manufacturing that ventilator 8 years ago and no longer have replacement parts. I am attaching a photo. Happy New Year!

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Maybe one of these low profile dorades my work for you.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
the new version of the marinco has a stainless steel shell and is much better. I replaced the plastic ones years ago and they stand up well

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Go to BaconSails off of Chinquapin . They have used ones that MAY work. Their stuff has a 10-day return policy, but I think you really just want the cover? I take it you live in the area?

Edit: As I turned to go get my much-needed 2nd cup of coffee, I spied a Marinco box full of "day night plus solar vent" parts. Unfortunately, the cover you need screws in through the solar panel. I don't see how yours attaches.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Buying a cheap non working unit to rescue a pretty functional cover makes sense. Remind the seller it is a dead unit. It may help to find a price acceptable to both parties.

Jun 21, 2016
Hunter 356 Annapolis, MD
Thanks! Is the new ventilator pretty much a drop-in installation, or is reworking needed?

Jun 21, 2016
Hunter 356 Annapolis, MD
Thanks. Yes, my boat lives about 4 miles from Bacon. I will check with them, unless the box you mention that doesn't have what I need is at Bacon.

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks. Yes, my boat lives about 4 miles from Bacon. I will check with them, unless the box you mention that doesn't have what I need is at Bacon.
Sorry I didn't say.... I do not have the solar panel/motor. I intended to play with it to fix it, but it ended up in the trash. I have the other parts.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Thanks! Is the new ventilator pretty much a drop-in installation, or is reworking needed?
Not quite a drop in replacement. You have to remove the plastic adapter that your current one press fits into. After that, the new one will fit the hole and reuses the same screw holes. It's a much better setup because the fan screws in place, not just a press fit. My old one got knocked out of place by a loose jib sheet and ended up at the bottom of a lake.

Jun 21, 2016
Hunter 356 Annapolis, MD
m
Go to BaconSails off of Chinquapin . They have used ones that MAY work. Their stuff has a 10-day return policy, but I think you really just want the cover? I take it you live in the area?

Edit: As I turned to go get my much-needed 2nd cup of coffee, I spied a Marinco box full of "day night plus solar vent" parts. Unfortunately, the cover you need screws in through the solar panel. I don't see how yours attaches.

Jun 21, 2016
Hunter 356 Annapolis, MD
Just to be clear, the part I need is the plastic cover. It doesn't screw onto the ventilator; it's a sort of press fit. If that is what you have, I would be interested in getting it from you.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
As SEsmith said, the new one is a much better design - it screws in in place of the adapter plate. The one you have I assume is in the dorade box, I added another on in the forward hatch. The new unit has a pull down seal so you can close it - the old one you had to remove and install a plate in the adapter if you wanted to protect against breaking waves

Jan 22, 2008
Just to be clear, the part I need is the plastic cover. It doesn't screw onto the ventilator; it's a sort of press fit. If that is what you have, I would be interested in getting it from you.
I guess the style changed in 8 years. I'll be out for lunch tomorrow at the Smokehouse. I'll call Bacons and if they are open I'll try to get by there and report back. .