vega in mexico

Feb 21, 2006
I have a ~1975 Albin Vega which is currently in dry storage on a trailer in San Carlos, Mexico. When I bought it in 2000 it was my intention to retire there. In the event, I wound up retiring in the Philippines instead, in 2010. Initially I was hoping to get the Vega transported here, but that turned out to be impracticable due to the cost of transport and the very high tariffs imposed by the Philippines. Then I thought I would be able to get back over to Mexico once in a while and spend some time on the boat, but family obligations intervened and that hasn't happened either.At this point the Vega has been sitting on its trailer for nine years. It was in good condition in 2010 when I last used it, but obviously is likely in less good condition now. At my current age and circumstances it is not practicable for me to undertake the complications that would be involved in traveling to Mexico, bringing the boat up to saleable condition, coping with the Mexican bureaucracy, etc. so as things stand the boat will be forfeited to the Marina Seca, probably toward the end of this year.If there is anyone who is interested in trying to rescue it from that fate, I would be very happy for someone else to get some use out of it. I am not looking to be paid, and I am willing to do whatever I can from here (i.e. sign papers or whatever) to help as long as it doesn't require me to travel or pay money. I believe that what would be required would be paying the Marina Seca their accrued storage fees (a few hundred dollars), and figuring out how to navigate the Mexican bureaucratic maze to transfer or acquire title, which based on past experience I would guess may be a nontrivial undertaking. If anyone wants to inquire further they should please feel free to contact me by email, jaxhax at gmail.

Oct 15, 2015
That is very kind of you to make that offer. I hope somebody can take you up on it. A yacht broker can (for a nominal fee from the purchaser) help with the paperwork and bureaucracy of the transaction. I wish you well. Cheers..

Jan 28, 2001
#ygrps-yiv-1717478624 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}

Brings back memories. Does the boat have a Mexican TIP (temporary import permit)? Is it still in date? Lyric spent a few years in dry storage in La Paz. All in all, she held up rather well considering the heat in the summer. The batteries are most likely shot.
probably the tires on the trailer also. When the travel lift put us back in the water the shaft log had dried out so bad we almost sank before we could get it tightened down enough to keep floating. Plan on re-packing it before launching. Our packing nut wrench
had the adjustable wing nut rust shut. Hint if you have one of these with the galvanized nut and bolt replace them now with stainless ones. It would be a project but not insurmountable. Paying the right official to "help" with the paperwork should be considered
also. Check all hoses and through-hull clamps. We had friends who bought a Landfall 39 from a San Diego bank that had foreclosed on the loan. The only paperwork problem was that it ad been claimed by a very well connected Mexican lady who's attitude was "Title? We don need no stinkin title!" Anyway the
boat was in the water and our friends slipped the lines one night and made for international waters. They made it home to San Diego. This would not work in San Carlos as the boat is on a trailer and San Carlos is a long way from international waters.
Walt

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com on behalf of guaymasjse@... [AlbinVega] AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2019 9:56 PM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [AlbinVega] vega in mexico

This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com)

Add cleanup rule |
More info

I have a ~1975 Albin Vega which is currently in dry storage on a trailer in San Carlos, Mexico. When I bought it in 2000 it was my intention to retire there. In the event,
I wound up retiring in the Philippines instead, in 2010. Initially I was hoping to get the Vega transported here, but that turned out to be impracticable due to the cost of transport and the very high tariffs imposed by the Philippines. Then I thought I would
be able to get back over to Mexico once in a while and spend some time on the boat, but family obligations intervened and that hasn't happened either.
At this point the Vega has been sitting on its trailer for nine years. It was in good condition in 2010 when I last used it, but obviously is likely in less good condition
now. At my current age and circumstances it is not practicable for me to undertake the complications that would be involved in traveling to Mexico, bringing the boat up to saleable condition, coping with the Mexican bureaucracy, etc. so as things stand the
boat will be forfeited to the Marina Seca, probably toward the end of this year.
If there is anyone who is interested in trying to rescue it from that fate, I would be very happy for someone else to get some use out of it. I
am not looking to be paid, and I am willing to do whatever I can from here (i.e. sign papers or whatever) to help as long as it doesn't require me to travel or pay money.
I believe that what would be required would be paying the Marina Seca their accrued storage fees (a few hundred dollars), and figuring out how to navigate
the Mexican bureaucratic maze to transfer or acquire title, which based on past experience I would guess may be a nontrivial undertaking.
If anyone wants to inquire further they should please feel free to contact me by email, jaxhax at gmail.

Gazuum

Oct 23, 2010
Pearson P365K Port Angeles
    I recently rescued a similar boat from Arizona. It had sat for over 7 years.  I had to replace all the tires and the brake linings (had basically turned to dust) and 2 brake drums with bearings just to get it home. The brightwork was in poor shape and half the sails were missing. Of course, the Yanmar hadn’t been run in that time and I’m still having problems getting it to run good. Water leakage caused some rot around the portholes and mast step area (boat is lined with wood).   I guess what I’m trying to say,   expect to put some time and money into this project. Gordon

Feb 21, 2006
Thanks Walt. It does have a temporary import permit, expires this year, the Marina Seca folks told me last year they could handle the renewal, I gathered for a couple hundred bucks. No batteries to be shot, I always carried them back and forth with me. Trailer tires I am sure need replaced, and probably some work on the trailer too if one wanted to trailer it any further than the launching ramp. Repacking the shaft and checking through hulls and hoses, certainly agree with you on that. Engine is a volvo diesel, would certainly need at least a careful oil change and re-lube and purging and cleaning the fuel system. Hope it was clear from my previous post that this would be suitable for someone looking for a project or a relatively inexpensive liveaboard in mexico, not for someone looking for a turnkey situation.Jack

Feb 21, 2006
Thanks, Gordon, certainly agree. There was a time when I would have jumped at a project like this -- still would if there were any practical way to get it over here to the Phils. I used to see and talk to people doing projects like this there in the maintenance yard at the Marina Seca in San Carlos, and my impression is for it to work, you have to be there for at least a month or so, you have to like to work on boats, and it will be no surprise to anyone on this list that boat stuff costs money. I'd happily do it if I could, but I'm just not in a position to go to Mexico, stay there for the time it would take, and then still wind up with a boat that I have no practical way of getting over here to where I live.