VC17m - Got it Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
I put two coats of VC17m on the bottom of my H170 today. This was really easy and went on a lot better than some of the stories I've heard. I used a 1.5 inch x 3 inch cheap ($1.99) foam roller. It's amazing how fast it dries, but it's workable. It's on sale at WM and I had another $10 off coupon... that made it even easier. Hopefully I can get in the water around the beginning of May. JerryA

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Applying VC17

Mix the paint and coppper powder well, then pour it through a funnel into a large plastic ketchup bottle with a snap lid. To apply paint just unsnap the lid and squeeze it out onto the roller. There's no waste and you can go as fast or as slow as you like. Just snap the cap shut to keep the paint from drying out. It will stay liquid for weeks. To keep the paint well mixed and prevent the copper powder from settling, shake the bottle periodically with the lid closed. Peter H23 "Raven"

J

Jeff Wessel

why?

Jerry, Maybe I missed it in an earlier post, but what made you decide to paint the bottom of your 170?

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Because

Jeff, I will be leaving my 170 in Sandusky Bay all season and it seemed like the correct thing to do. I thought about pulling it every now and then to clean the bottom, but I knew that probably wouldn't happen as often as it should. I thought about pulling up on the beach and pulling it over to clean one side at a time, but that didn't really sound like much fun either. Both of these ideas would work fine, and do for others, but I chose finally to just paint the bottom. I guess time will tell whether it is worth it or not. Do you have any new things planned for this summer? JerryA

J

Jeff Wessel

Oh...I remember

I remember now. I read earlier that you had rented a slip. This Summer I will add a few things to the boat. I foamed my mast this Winter (and the boom too). I have already purchased chainplates with lever tensioners for the shrouds and a sliding gooseneck for the boom. I will put those on when I rig the boat for the summer. I also have a plan for fabricating a transom ladder. I am going to try to figure out more ways to make set up from the trailer faster. It really isn't that bad but being an Engineer compels me to do these things. I will also spend some time trying small rigging adjustment changes to see the effect on the handling of the boat in different wind conditions. Again... the Engineer thing. Other than that, I am planning on a lot of fun. I can't wait! Jeff

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Jeff- how did the foaming go?

I am so late in doing the foaming...am going to try very hard to do it tomorrow and Saturday. How long did it take you? Did you use the spray expanding foam, or noodles? Have fun with all your fine tunings...

J

Jeff Wessel

Not long

Tereza, I only took about two hours total work time. First I foamed the top of the mast. My experience there was that I tried to move slowly to avoid a mess, but the spray foam material I used (it was the inulation kind you get at the hardware store "Great Stuff") would not flow more than a foot or so down the mast. A word to the wise...remove the mast head first. I saw that I could stick the straw from the faom can between the halyard pully and the housing, but I decided to remove it anyway. I was glad I did because the expanding foam eventually came out of the end of the mast. I didn't feel that a foot of foam would have the bouyancy I needed so I decided to add several noodles inside the mast. I always have noodles around because they also make great padding around ropes and straps to protect the boat wheen trailering. I gave up on that because the screws and rivets sticking into the inside of the mast from the rigging made it impossible to stick more than one at a time up in the mast. After I decided that noodles were not the way to go, I foamed a 8 inch or so plug in the bottom of the mast and then sealed around all of the screws and rivets with clear silicone to create an air trap that will keep the mast afloat. I will check it every other season to make sure that water does not collect and damage the inside of the mast. I did the same thing with the boom. My Son and I will try it out when the water gets warm enough to be comfortable in for a while.

A

adrianoazzali

vc 17 m got i done

dear frend i living in sicily avec mon hunter 170 if you com in agrigento wrigt on e-mail ciao

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Translation

Dear friend I'm living in Sicily along with my Hunter 170, if you communicate in Agrigento write an e-mail. Thanks, adrianoazzali Agrigento is a city and province in Sicily and it would appear that Adrian sails from Porto Empedocle. Very interesting, I shall give it my best. Anyone else translate this differently? JerryA

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
French/Italian/English posting

Well MY humble translation would differ slightly... "...If you come to Agrigento, send an email..." A tad confusing, as his name and location are Italian, but his few non-english words are in French! Well, if I am lucky enough to find myself in Sicily and wanting to sail, I'll check with the locals to see who this curious poster is! Off to foam now!

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
That makes more sense

Tereza, yours makes more sense. :) I'll bet Sicily would be a cool place to sail. Hope your foam installation is going well. JerryA

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Done!

Foaming was a snap! Will be adding a post about it, and also putting details in the photo forum. Can't wait to try it out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.