VC-17 thinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat T

Feb 15, 2009
Catalina 36MKII Waukegan, IL
It's that time again. Finally. I read in a previous post that VC-17 can be thinned using isopropyl acholol. Is that true? I hope so because if you purchase the VC-17 thinner from Interlux it is a lot more expensive.

Same question for cleaning your hull, if needed, prior to application of VC-17. Interlux says to use Special Thinner 216. Is there a generic (cheaper) alternative? Thanks.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
considering the VC172 thinner msds says: Isopropyl alcohol 50 − 75% by Weight,

Yeah, you can probably use isopropyl alcohol to thin the stuff

For cleaning, I like Interlux Fiberglass Prep Wash 202....

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I've never found a need to thin VC-17, but I'm sure Isopropyl alcohol would work.
I've been tempted to thin it because its so ridiculously expensive, and the bottom of my boat still looks good when I haul out it the fall. I've never really dared going 2 seasons without painting though. I just keep a small roller pan covered with foil as I am painting, and paint on a calm day so the stuff doesn't evaporate so fast.

I have, however, used Isopropyl alcohol to clean the hull prior to repainting. It's considerably cheaper and you can find it at the local drug store, and its 90%.
The other 25%-50% in VC172 might be a proprietary additive 0r it might just be impurities.

It really does a good job of cleaning, assuming you did a good job of washing the hull when you hauled out in the fall. It literally brings back the copper color of last year's paint. Just be careful, as with any thinner, that you don't drag your cleaning rags over the top of the bootstripe because you will leave a trail.

Dec 3, 2003
None None Rochester, NY
I question the need to clean the hull before applying VC-17 for the season. All that you are doing is taking off old VC-17 that still has anti-fouling properties. Of course, you can always buy more VC-17 at $50+ a quart. I clean the obvious dirt with a wet rag and roll one thin coat of VC-17. I have tried a couple ways of keeping the stuff from evaporating before it gets to the hull.

One is to buy a plastic squeeze bottle, fill it with VC-17, and apply directly to the roller. That way it doesn't sit open to the air. Another way is to buy an oblong plastic "Tupperwear" type pan with a lid and put some VC-17 in and close the cover, opening it only to get more paint on the roller.

The only time I have ever heard of thinning VC-17 is when spraying.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Be careful, some of the isopropyl alcohols you find at the drugstore are rubbing alcohols and have things other than alcohol and water in them... Make sure the stuff you're getting is just alcohol and water.
I've never found a need to thin VC-17, but I'm sure Isopropyl alcohol would work.
I've been tempted to thin it because its so ridiculously expensive, and the bottom of my boat still looks good when I haul out it the fall. I've never really dared going 2 seasons without painting though. I just keep a small roller pan covered with foil as I am painting, and paint on a calm day so the stuff doesn't evaporate so fast.

I have, however, used Isopropyl alcohol to clean the hull prior to repainting. It's considerably cheaper and you can find it at the local drug store, and its 90%.
The other 25%-50% in VC172 might be a proprietary additive 0r it might just be impurities.

It really does a good job of cleaning, assuming you did a good job of washing the hull when you hauled out in the fall. It literally brings back the copper color of last year's paint. Just be careful, as with any thinner, that you don't drag your cleaning rags over the top of the bootstripe because you will leave a trail.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
In response to Ken:

I can't wash the bottom in the spring if the water isn't turned on in the boatyard. I just use a rag dampened with alcohol to wipe down the bottom after checking for any areas that might have loose dirt. The yard can get kind of dusty in the early spring and it just naturally blows around. I am a believer in the idea that the surface must be clean for the paint to adhere properly.

I also agree that it would probably be possible to go two seasons without repainting, but I presonally haven't dared to try it even though the bottom looks good.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I have used acetone. I think the important thing is to have a base that will carry the copper to the bottom and will evaporate quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.