Varnish issue

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Anyone know how I could avoid varnish failure for teak strips that are screwed through for my companionway hatch. The strips were for first coated with West Systems clear expoxy and multiple coats of quality varnish. The issue clearly is that the varnish and expoxy failed around the screws that hold the hatch together.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks

Attachments

Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
When I have screws in the teak, I remove the screw and varnishthe screw hole the first coat. I then replace the screw and varnish over it to seal everything. Keeps the water out. However, I don't use epoxy wundr the varnish. I start with a 50-50 thinned coat of varnish. The next coat is 75-25. After that, I only thin enough for good flow.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
I failed to mention I did expoxy and varnish into the holes and all sides of the teak-including the underside. This reduces the diameter of the holes though, causing the screw to cut into the finishes.

I didn't varnish over the screws, which could have helped. A combination of this top coat, larger diameter holes, with a sealant on the bottom between the teak and smoked lexan hatch material might be the solution.

Jan 6, 2010
BL,

I countersunk my screws & made matching plugs to cover them. You can also buy plugs at a marine store or say, a Home Depot. Just get the right countersink drill bit. This way, your screw heads don't show pal.

CR

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Agree on the plugs. But- DO NOT epoxy them in!!! Went time comes to remove them you will hate yourself. Use some Titebond, or just wet the hole with varnish and insert

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Plugs would be good, but those strips of teak on three sides of the hatch is only 1/4" thick (1/4" x 5/8" x 28"). After the screw head and the counter sink, not much room for a plug to cap the screw head.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Is varnishing over the screw heads the beat solution?