Vangs vs Topping Lifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ex-admin

This question seems to pop up regularly. Many skippers don't seem to realize that one is a sail control device while the other is just a static boom control.

W

Wright Ellis s/v Whisky II

I beg to differ

The topping lift is not just a "static" boom control. It is adjusted to add fullness to the sail in light wind conditions when sailing on a broad reach or run.

Feb 26, 2004
- - Portland, Or.
Speaking of topping lifts and vangs

I have a solid adjustable vang and a Dutchman sail flaking system on my Catalina 28' tall rig. I am giving serious thought to ditching the Dutchman, which is the only thing I use my topping lift for. Other than a backup system to keep the boom from falling in the event of a vang failure, I am also thinking of getting rid of the topping lift in an attempt to clean up some of the clutter. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts? What did you do with the topping lift? Can you just tie a monkey fist (i.e., a big knot) on the bitter end so that it can rest on the top of the mast in the event I want to reinstall the topping lift? Thanks for your thoughts.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
I also beg to differ......

As wright Ellis states .....A topping lift is needed to counteract the weight (mass) of the heavy boom when in light wind conditions such weight would pull too much twist out of the shape. Without counteracting the weight of the boom the upper sections of the leech become 'backwinded' (flow on the wrong side of the sail) and that portion of the sail will act as an "air-brake" I use a rigid spring loaded vang that incorporates the function of the vang AND topping lift into a single control.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
No topping lift - benefits

Bob - I use a rigid vang. The topping lift is now a spare halyard (or for the trys'l). No topping lift means less chafe on the leech of the sail. Yup, no topping lift excludes a Dutchman ... I use an Eazy-Jack system instead.

D

DW

Has anyone ever known of a rigid vang to fail?

I'm in the process right now of adding a rigid vang to my 39-footer. I was going to remove the topping lift, but... Sounds like a good idea to keep it as a backup/spare halyard. Thoughts?

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Boom Gallows

I you're going offshore a gallows would be appropriate anyway .........

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Bob, Did As You Suggest

Went with a standard sail cover and retractable lazy jacks. Works fine. Rick D.

B

Bob Early

Topping Lift "self destructed" , cheap alernative

Bob, When my topping lift was destroyed in a Noreaster a few years ago, I was on a mooring, and although I planned to haul the boat soon for the winter, I had no plans to drop the mast. As an alternative, I installed a "Boom Kicker" and a vang. In my case, the topping lift was just a static "keep the boom from falling with no sail up", in that it was just a wire cable from an eye on the masthead to an eye on the boom end. The only problem I got ennsared in, is that the gooseneck is mounted on a slide, with about 18" of motion, Prior owner used this for lifting the boom when the sail was furled and also when reefing. However, the Boom Kicker doesn't like the gooseneck being moved over too wide a range, as the boom end falls out of the darn slot. A real pain and a hazard when reefing in any condition, and extremely annoying under any adverse condition. My short term solution has been to keep the gooseneck position rigid, and move the sail to accomodate reefing. This, of course, restricts flexibility of the sail positioning. Bob

J

John Richard

No more topping lift

I recently upgraded from my OEM furling main to a vertical batten large roach replacement. The topping lift interfered with the roach to the point of not allowing the sail to assume its proper shape. To correct this, I added a gas insert in my Selden "Boomkicker" vang. This now supports the 19' boom and also adequately controls twist. The topping lift is now a spare main halyard. I could also be used for a trysail if I had one. John Richard s/v Jack's Place

Status
Not open for further replies.