Vang Tang - Pearson 26

DougL

Jul 31, 2023
Pearson Pearson 26 Bristol Yacht Club
2nd year owning my first boat - 1976 Pearson 26. The boom vang tang attached to the lower portion of the mast has broken. Looking for a replacement option as I don’t see any part numbers in any of the forums / online brochures / etc. One suggestion was to use a pad eye that would fit into the slot with a self tapping screw to keep it from sliding up. Another choice I’ve seen is this tang kit but the rivets surprised me - looks more appropriate for lasers. Open to any suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Padeye would work if you use a good quality welded piece. There can be significant stress since it's main purpose is to keep the boom from pumping when the mainsheet loses it effectiveness. When the boom swings outside the range of the traveler the vang takes over and the mainsheet takes the traveler's duty of controlling angle of attack.

DougL

Jul 31, 2023
Pearson Pearson 26 Bristol Yacht Club
Padeye would work if you use a good quality welded piece. There can be significant stress since it's main purpose is to keep the boom from pumping when the mainsheet loses it effectiveness. When the boom swings outside the range of the traveler the vang takes over and the mainsheet takes the traveler's duty of controlling angle of attack.
Thanks Joe!