Vancouver - 2nd Narrows Train Bridge

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Greetings Vancouver area sailors. I'm going to take the boat up to deep cove and I'm hoping for some tips on transiting 2nd Narrows. Specifically:

- Do I need to ask for the bridge to be raised? My mast is about 50ft over the water. If so, do I call Vancouver traffic on 11 or is there another channel?

- Are there any tide issues to be aware of other than the obvious? I transit 1st narrows all the time and it's generally not an issue

Thanks

Jul 28, 2012
Hunter 410 San Blas,Mexico
Yes. You can reach the bridge on channel 12. They will open anytime there is not a train. There can be 4-5 knot currents, so you might consider slack or a favourable tide. I have gone under the bridge many times and it is not much of an issue, but check your tide tables. Indian Arm is an enjoyable area to sail. If you sail east of Reed Point Marine, keep your eye on your charts. it can get shallow, but you can go the end of the inlet all the way to Rocky Point. Have fun.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The KatKam is, and always has been a promoter of conspiracy theory. :)
Besides that, it is a fantastic source of frustration for those of us stuck on the frozen prairie, except on days like today where there is snow in front of the Sylvia!

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
The KatKam is, and always has been a promoter of conspiracy theory. :)
Besides that, it is a fantastic source of frustration for those of us stuck on the frozen prairie, except on days like today where there is snow in front of the Sylvia!
Agreed.

2 other sources of poor work attendance [for me] include

Whistler Mountain

http://www.whistler.com/webcam/?gclid=CLiHw47FobMCFcN_QgodnjYAyw

and the wind gauge at the Squamish windsurf spit the rest of the year

http://www.squamishwindsports.com/wind/

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Eggs Benny at the Sylvia, with a great view of the bay. Too bad the pier is gone, that would have been a great place to tie up!