Valve on the cooling line, what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dima

May 28, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Prairie Harbor Yacht Club
I have something looking as a valve on the cooling line on the top of the engine on the hose going from the engine to the water heater. I found somewhere mentioned that there should be "bleeding valve?". What it is for and how it works? Looks like it opens when you turning it clockwise (?). I'm asking because I changed water heater and getting overheat alarm now. I thing I have an air somewhere, but not sure how to fix this. I'm going to flush cooling line and replace antifreeze, but I need help to understand this valve and a way to blow out potential air pockets.

The boat is 1991 Hunter Legend 35.5, engine is Yanmar 3GM30F.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Sounds like a bleeder valve to me. When pressurized, try opening it slightly to allow trapped air to escape, and when it spits coolant, close it.

Dima

May 28, 2011
Thank you, justsomeguy! Just to be sure: it should be normally closed, right? In my case, turned counter-clockwise, right? Than, when engine is running and get to proper temperature, open it a little (turn clockwise) till it starts spit antifreeze.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Thank you, justsomeguy! Just to be sure: it should be normally closed, right? In my case, turned counter-clockwise, right? Than, when engine is running and get to proper temperature, open it a little (turn clockwise) till it starts spit antifreeze.
Correct, normally closed. You're very welcome.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If you do a search on "Burping" - your engine, that is :), on this board, you'll find many discussions and links. The issue is an air "bubble" in the line from the engine to the water heater and back to the engine. You need to get rid of the air pocket to avoid overheating. There are a few different ways to do this. Good luck.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Turn clockwise

If you have a valve that you have to turn clockwise for off, you have a gate valve. That has absolutely no place on a boat. Get it out of there. Replace it with a ball valve, and you will be much better off.

Dima

May 28, 2011
I'll make a picture tomorrow. I don't think previous owner had something wrong installed, he is very serious sailor. May be it is my English :) - it is not turning, it is screwing (?), spinning a handle probably dozen circles. I think picture will explain better :)

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
That's an old-school radiator drain valve, probably used for burping the water heater line, as has pretty much been established.

Status
Not open for further replies.