Valsail

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Has anybody used Valsail yacht braid? I see it on Ebay and it is reasonably priced. They seem to have a full product offering but I couldn't find any specs for their goods.

Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
Bump an old thread as I am curious too. A third of the price of Sta Set, just can't find any reviews.
I may go ahead and buy some just to try it and see.

Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
I went ahead and ordered some. I'll post up my thoughts on it after I use it. I have Sta Set halyard I can compare to. Worse comes to worse I have to tilt the mast down once more to change it to something else.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I went ahead and ordered some. I'll post up my thoughts on it after I use it. I have Sta Set halyard I can compare to. Worse comes to worse I have to tilt the mast down once more to change it to something else.
No, just use the old halyard as a messenger, connected to the new halyard. I have seen some do this with a paperclip. I used electrical tape, and if I'm not very careful how I do it, I have lost the joint, and then I'm screwed. You'd think I'd learn and use a paperclip next time! :D

Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
The problem is that my sheaves are vee groove. I had one old sheave, so I chucked it on the lathe and gave it a rope groove, and I I can find an appropriate scrap of aluminum I will just turn a few more and change them all out. It only takes 5 minutes or so to tilt the mast down then I can stand in the back of the truck to change them. Need to replace my masthead light and put a new winded vane up there too.

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
Has anybody used Valsail yacht braid? I see it on Ebay and it is reasonably priced. They seem to have a full product offering but I couldn't find any specs for their goods.
I have heard that the difference is that the cheaper line tends to stretch a lot.... so check that out.. Halyards getting longer is a problem..... no so much on sheets...

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I have heard that the difference is that the cheaper line tends to stretch a lot.... so check that out.. Halyards getting longer is a problem..... no so much on sheets...
That's why there are Dyneema cored halyards on my boats. Life's too short for stretchy halyards: no polyester double braid. Don't use it for my sheets, either, because life's too short for sheets that absorb water and get heavy. Dammit, some day I need to buy a high tech racing boat that deserves all this over-the-top stuff I put on my boat....