Validating an idea for my bimini

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We have this great (big) bimini that the POs made. It's 9' long! I'd like to preserve it from the elements but the way the supports are constructed, it is always in a fixed open position. I think with the help of some quick release pins on the fore and aft stanchions I could collapse the bimini fore and aft to the split backstay. My concern is the strataglass window behind the backstays to the rear bow. If I collapse the bimini the 'glass would be folded in half. Will this damage the window? I've been told to keep it flat.
Worse case I guess, I could have a cover made that would cover the major collapsed area in front of the backstays and also cover the 'open' section aft with the window. It would look funky but would spare the canvas.
It would be a huge drag to sail this way so we'd open it every time we sailed. Not ideal but do-able. ANyone familiar with the care and feeding of strataglass?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I use quick release pins on my forward bimini to make it easy to take off when we race. You sure there is no other way to get it to fold that would allow the glass to stay flat? I'll come by and look next time I'm out there. What about a zipper beam to beam to allow the cloth to separate and be stowed differently? Go look at mine. My frames are separate and allow the aft portion to stand alone where my view window is.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks Schoen. There may some other options. Another brain looking at it might help. We even thought a 'sacrificial' bimini over the bimini would be better than watching this one deteriorate.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I used the Gemini collapsible struts on the dodger and the thumbscrews to attach the retainers on the dodger and the bimini, so they could be folded up easily. There will be no more webbing straps. :) Here it is folded up.
(and the newly installed frame for the dodger, clearly indicating how the sailcover needs shortened, as Sunbrella has no abrasion resistance, this isn't gonna work :) )
DSC00555.JPG

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I am concerned about abrasion too. I use straps to lift the sailcover off of the bimini. The was also a concern with a sacrificial cover over the bimini. Fabric and dirt working into the sunbrella.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The wind will chew it - the stuff is great, but not abrasion resistant at all.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
I thought Sailrite said not to fold Strataglass, it comes rolled up, so that should be OK if a possibility. When I built my bimini I put a window in. If you can sew, you could look at cutting the Strataglass where it needs to fold and sewing in a strip of canvas to act as a "hinge".
Could you unzip the aft edge from the frame and fold it all up that way? I have a bimini boot that covers my folded up frame & the folded up bimini without having to remove it.
Sailrite sells a kit: http://www.sailrite.com/Bimini-Boot-Kit - there are some photos that might give you some ideas.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A bimini like that will cost no more than $1,400 using the best materials (sunbrella, PTFE threat, YKK zips, and Regalite or Strataglass. You will doff and don twice a year, wash dry and fold, and maybe have to have the window replaced at year 5-7 and some stitching fixed. The bimini will last 10 years for an annual cost of $140. What is your time worth fiddling with setting up and taking down the bimini? Bonus; navy sunbrella is the toughest sunbrella.