Vakaros Atlas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Bunch of questions regarding the Atlas, so here goes.

The Atlas is a tactical instrument designed and built to help you sail and race faster. Of course it is packed with state-of-the-art sensors updating at 10+ times a seconds, but the real value is not in the DATA that it presents, but in the INTELLIGENCE it brings. It's smart. It makes you smarter.

Atlas+Head+On+Start+Screen.png

Don't want to turn this into an ad, but any questions please ask.

Oh, if you are a FaceBook user, do me favor and LIKE US. I'll be doing a line of informative videos starting this month. Not to be missed!

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Clay, does it connect with other instruments on the boat for data? If so, is there a list of them by make and model?

Nov 8, 2010
Clay, does it connect with other instruments on the boat for data? If so, is there a list of them by make and model?
Great question. The Atlas has BTLE (BlueTooth Low Energy) technology deeply integrated into it; and we have stated that we will actively support sensors and transducers that do, both ours and 3rd party.

We have also stated that we will deliver our own BTLE wind sensor; stay tuned for that.

We have also started that we will support the range of Airmar BTLE depth/speed transducers.

We have stated that we are looking into supporting Cyclops Marine's amazing BTLE load sensors, allowing high-end teams to dynamically monitor rig and sail tension. So cool!

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
What about integration with say my i50/i60 Raymarine instruments? I believe there is a dongle needed and maybe some other unit for the BTLE? Does the unit support that?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
What about integration with say my i50/i60 Raymarine instruments? I believe there is a dongle needed and maybe some other unit for the BTLE? Does the unit support that?
Indeed. Our initial support will be for direct connection to BTLE sensors, but clearly a market exists for interfacing into existing devices/sensors on wired networks. For this a network gateway will be needed, either implemented as a so-called 'dongle', or built into a headunit on the network. It's not hard to imagine those appearing on the market as the need develops.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Excellent video Clay, there is no substitute for seeing it done!
Could your next video cover the tracking of wind shifts?
Thanks for this, Dan

Nov 8, 2010
Excellent video Clay, there is no substitute for seeing it done!
Could your next video cover the tracking of wind shifts?
Thanks for this, Dan
Thx Dan. We really wanted to help show the solution in action. Words just don't do it.

We're actively planning the next one, so your comment helps. We also have a ton of new features on the way for the summer, so we're trying to get the biggest bang for the buck. Stay tuned!

CB

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Great explanation on the method used for calculating TTL. it is easy to become overcomplicated.

As a graphical learner, what is the feedback on usefulness of graphics .vs. actual displayed numbers?

Nov 8, 2010
Great explanation on the method used for calculating TTL. it is easy to become overcomplicated.

As a graphical learner, what is the feedback on usefulness of graphics .vs. actual displayed numbers?
Interesting question.

Are you asking about teaching people about the function (like the video), or using graphics in the display of the TTL function itself?

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Had a TON of fun making that. The outtakes were hilarious. And it's informative to boot!

Looks like a great product, nice big display, physical buttons, high rate GPS and inertial sensors. Should be a winner.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Interesting question.

Are you asking about teaching people about the function (like the video), or using graphics in the display of the TTL function itself?
in using graphics on the TTL itself. Again, kudos on the explanation, and the methodology is fairly simple (in concept)....your best VMG is a safe baseline for ttl. In an actual race, did users find the graphic of the boat and line as useful compared to the actual displayed times?

Nov 8, 2010
in using graphics on the TTL itself. Again, kudos on the explanation, and the methodology is fairly simple (in concept)....your best VMG is a safe baseline for ttl. In an actual race, did users find the graphic of the boat and line as useful compared to the actual displayed times?
It's actually a mix. We find that there is no clear consensus on the BEST way. Accordingly, we also have a screen that is just the numbers. On the graphics screen we wanted to make sure that even in the absence of the boat icon, that you would still be able to know what was going on. Good news the display is clear enough for that. We will continue to refine based on feedback, improvements, and our internal testing!

Nov 8, 2010
It's actually a mix. We find that there is no clear consensus on the BEST way. Accordingly, we also have a screen that is just the numbers. On the graphics screen we wanted to make sure that even in the absence of the boat icon, that you would still be able to know what was going on. Good news the display is clear enough for that. We will continue to refine based on feedback, improvements, and our internal testing!
Our feedback from some very top Melges 24 and J/70 teams at the Bacardi Regatta in Miami this last weekend was that the graphics screen is 'THE BOMB'. Unquote. So that's a datapoint!

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
@Jackdaw Just found out Slippery is now running the Atlas, so I will get to try it out this weekend! Melges spring nationals....in Muskegon.

Nov 8, 2010
@Jackdaw Just found out Slippery is now running the Atlas, so I will get to try it out this weekend! Melges spring nationals....in Muskegon.
That’s excellent! Yeah the atlas is really popular with the Melges 24 crowd. Make sure it’s got the latest software on it!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Who is 'we' and who is 'our'. You just turned this into a commercial. Did you get permission from the Admin? And, why shouldn't I delete this thread?

Nov 8, 2010
Who is 'we' and who is 'our'. You just turned this into a commercial. Did you get permission from the Admin? And, why shouldn't I delete this thread?
The is no 'we' our 'our' in my last post. There was back in FEBRUARY, but that was in direct response to another member's question. The theme of the entire post is purely informational and fun. But do what ever you want, big guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.