Vagabond 17 - (Standing Rigging Unknown)

May 31, 2022
Vagabond 17 Ft. Pierce
After several years without a boat (sadness emoji), I have jumped back in with a trailer sailer Vagabond 17, (w/cabin).
Structurally, everything looks good so far, which either means I got lucky or I haven't looked hard enough yet.

The Standing Rigging however did not have any attachment hardware on the stays or shrouds.
The wire rope thimbles are too small to fit a 1/4" shackle through, and the shrouds are too long to put a turnbuckle (Jaw/Jaw) before the chain/deck plate.

I also have aback stay which seems to be the right length to shackle straight into the plate on the transom; however is there no topping lift or other method of keeping boom out of the cabin when sail is down?

Do i need turnbuckles on all of these or is a semi-taught tension good enough?

I will gladly upload pictures and sketches if anyone out there can help.
I am capable of improvising but would love any guidance to keep me from straying too far off course, which i routinely do!
Hoping to find first hand Vagabond/Holder sailors due to lack of documentation on this type of boat.
I have scoured YouTube and this forum, which is why i joined.

Hello to all, I will try to contribute things I DO solve along the path.

-steve

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Is this what you have on your stays?

1654091657544.png

It is not uncommon for smaller sailboats to use these types of connectors .... and it leave a little play in the tension.

May 31, 2022
Vagabond 17 Ft. Pierce
Is this what you have on your stays?

View attachment 205867

It is not uncommon for smaller sailboats to use these types of connectors .... and it leave a little play in the tension.
Hi, thanks for response.
There is currently nothing at the lower end of the shrouds or stays, just a thimble/Eyelet spliced into the wire rope.
I was looking at those "Adjusters", especially maybe for the stern so it could be adjusted once mast is raised.
West marine is pretty damn proud of them and I can't find them anywhere else ?.?

Anybody ever DIY them (Shrouds only) with pre-drilled stainless flat stock 3 or 4" long, clevis pinned top and bottom?
I can get that at hardware store for a few bucks to continue moving forward a few outings until I know what I really want.

Or, if I could also just get by with something like this on the Port/Starboard shrouds?

1654094956680.png

I would use turnbuckles but then I would need to shorten or replace shrouds and stays, as it would introduce too much slack currently.

I'm willing to do that once I have splashed her a few times and everything else has been proven workable to me. Just bought it last month and am anxious to get her in the water once. (Hull painted was first step).

Then I will improve on her once she graduates from Project to Work-In-Progress...
(I do know THAT stage Never-Ends! lol)

Last edited:

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
My McGregor did not come with a topping lift and when I ask that question from another sailor they just advised me to tie a 4 foot tag line onto my back stay and just use that to keep the boom up. It works just fine as long as I remember to untie it when I put the sail up. I have adjustable turnbuckles but since I don't race I have found that the only adjustments I need to make on them are the ones that give me comfort by adjusting them from time to time and the length overall hasn't seemed to changed from original setting. Except for my forestay I leave all others connected as I dropped my mast aft for transport. I was warned and took it to heart not to allow any loose shrouds vibrate against anything in the drive home having been provided horrible examples.

May 31, 2022
Vagabond 17 Ft. Pierce
Overdue follow-up/conclusion ... amazing how all the things in the world can conspire to keep you away from The Boat! lol

End of this chapter is:
I got a small strip of pre-drilled flat stock (48" $6 @lowes) and cut 8 lengths about 6 inches long.
Used short thru-bolts to make some cheap adjusters for stays and shrouds.

The flat stock cut very easily with a hack saw so IMO would not be good for actual use as adjusters. Suspect they would tear easily.
It was a great system though for raising the mast single handed, to keep it under control but not be too short on any side.
Once the mast was up i was able to go around and tension them all, and then measure exactly what I needed for permanent rigging.
Added turnbuckles front and back stays, and true adjusters on the shrouds so I can leave a little slop when raining and then move each side down a notch.

Many thanks to all who responded.
Hoping to resume final refit over the next couple weekends and perhaps launch on Maiden Voyage soon by end of July.

-steve