Vacuu flush toilet for stern head on H450

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anne Castleberg

Any sugestions or guidelines for installing a vacuu flush toilet in the tiny rear head of the H450.

M

Mike Pilolla

Location of Vacuum Pump

Hello Ann, Suzanne and I had the Vacuflush installed by the dealer rather than the factory. With our installation the vacuum pump sits under the center section of the starboard settee and is plumbed through the bottom of the nav station seat. Just a couple of observations for us. Unless you add some insulation to minimize the sound, it is annoying after a while, especially if you're live-aboards, like we are. Also, if you install a water accumulator or hook up to city water it will use about 25 to 30% additional water per flush. Is seems the extra water pressure makes a difference. Finally, always turn the system off when leaving the boat for more than a brief period. we've gotten into the habit of turning off the head and the water any time we will be gone for more than half an hour. Using fresh water to flush is a big plus in terms of maintenance but it also means we will need a larger capacity water maker when we finally go cruising in a few years. I hope this is helpful. There is a delightful person named Peggy, who is also nicknamed the head mistress, and is always responding to inquiries here on HOW. She will likely be able to give you a lot more insight than I have. Good Luck, Mike Pilolla s/v Carolina

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

You can get all the advantages of VacuFlush for...

about 1/3 the price. Several mfrs now offer macerating electric toilets--which you can buy for $400-800 at B/US, WM etc...AND either install yourself or have any boatyard do it--that are available with a fresh water flush solenoid option...which use approximately the same amount of flush water, and consume less power than power than the VacuFlush. Don't get me wrong...the VacuFlush is an excellent system...I put it on my last two boats. But that was before I could have gotten the same thing for 1/3 the price. So before spending upwards of $2000 for an installed toilet, I suggest you investigate other options.

P

Patrick Magers

Electric head

I installed two Jabsco fresh water electric heads on my 460 and have been very happy with the results. The installation wasn't difficult and the cost was about $950 total.

H

Henry Demolina

Check Out the New Electric Heads

Listen to Peggy's advise. I installed a Jabsco Silent Flush in my 40.5 and love it. It cost me about $400 at Boat/US (much cheaper than the same toilet at West Marine). Did the installation myself in about two days-not difficult,just a lot of work but I enjoy working on my boat. A pro could do it much faster. A lot cheaper and simpler than VacuFlush and you can fix it yourself when needed. Happy flushing Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.