v berth water leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Big Ridge Marina, Hixson, Tn
hunter 29.5 v berth water leak

Having owned this hunter for 18 months, i just discovered a 'long term" water leak in the very tip of the bow berth. The v berth bedding is rotten and some wood must be replaced. It appears this water leak is directly above the anchor locker drain. There is a 2-3 inch lip in the fiber glass head liner that is collecting this water, and as it fills then it runs down the sides of the vinyl padding. I am unable to 'see' where this water is coming from, although it does appear to be the locker drain. Any advise would be much appreciated if other 29.5 owners have experienced this problem.

Thanks, Dave

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2009
Hunter 39 New Castle, NH
I discovered a similar leak on my 98 310. I opened the anchor locker from on deck. Looking downward into the locker, I discovered that where the deck assembly meets the hull assembly inside the locker there was a gap hidden between the top aft wall of the anchor locker and the underneath aft edge of the deck opening into the locker. The gap was under the lip created by the deck assembly having been seated onto the hull assembly during production. I found it by running my fingers along and under the aft edge of the locker. When water would flow across the bow on deck, it would drain through the anchor locker hatch and would flow around the lip into the gap and then down into the v berth. I ended up filling the gap with silicone caulking and the leak has stopped.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If All Else Fails ....................................

..................... you might try looking at the forward cleat (either strbrd or port) as the source of leakage. I recently spent about a year looking for the source of leakage into the V berth which appeared only on the rarest of occasions. Ugly brown water which looked as if it came from the holding tank. It followed an unbelievable route to get behind the padded vinyl and down on to the plywood of the berth. Rebedded both cleats and have been leak free for a couple of years.

Now, as far as the other leaks go .............................. :cussing:.

Nov 23, 2008
thanks to all for the suggestions...... rain is in the forcast this weekend... hope to find it...

Dubo

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 340 Deltaville Va
My 2 cents

I like to eliminate all factors and one i have discovered for a potential leak in the v-berth is where the sliding pin for the anchor locker latch enters the drilled hole on the decking. I filled the hole with epoxy (drilled a smaller hole for the pin) and have not had any leaks for the last 4 months in the v-berth.

My theory (which could be BS) is when it rained, the locking pin provided a path for the water to run into the hole and down into the v-berth. Not having x-ray vision i can not say there is any credibility to my theory but i do know my v-berth is now dry.

Nov 23, 2008
Re: My 2 cents

Dubo, interesting, i will take take a hard look at that... I guess I could plug the locking pin hole and see if that would be the leak... thanks, Dave

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
check out where your bow lights wiring goes thru the toerail area.

May 1, 2009
Hunter 30 Groton, CT
Interesting, I've pulled my hot water tank and cut the floor out. Removed all the rotted plywood replaced it and fiberglassing new. My source was either the tank or hatch. I replaced the weatherstripping. Wish I knew where to get a new box for the water tank. As galvanized unpainted was cheap idea by builder.

Oct 28, 2005
Hunter 31 Portage De Sioux, MO
Dave we had a similar leak a few years ago on our 87 Hunter 31. We even took off work one day durning an all day down pour just to sit in the V berth and look for dripping water. Nothing. Then one night while anchored out it started raining. The mattress got wet and I was determined to find the leak. Next morning I was running my fingers under the forward toerail, and there it was. A loose nut that bolts the pulpit to the toe rail. Got the tool box out and tightened every nut and screw I could find. Happy to report there have been no leaks since that night. This thing ran us crazy trying to find where the water was coming in at.
All of the other places mentioned are places that will leak and good sound advice to look there. So get some caulk, and wrenchs and start putting some elbow in it, you will find it sooner or later. Good luck. :D

Nov 23, 2008
Thanks to all the suggestions: I found the leak. The anchor rope locker, has a drain... the drain hose was cracked and allowed water to enter the berth near the bow point ... I have replaced the drain hose (aparently cause by water standing in the hose and froze at some point... this has been a long term leak... now a second problem ... I discover that water is standing in the fresh water tank compartment. Common sense would be that it would be allowed to drain into the bilge but no....the fresh water tank is 'bedded' in that foam that hardens.... The question is: a drain to allow to flow into the bilge? Any advise would be much appreciated.

Nov 23, 2008
Interesting, I've pulled my hot water tank and cut the floor out. Removed all the rotted plywood replaced it and fiberglassing new. My source was either the tank or hatch. I replaced the weatherstripping. Wish I knew where to get a new box for the water tank. As galvanized unpainted was cheap idea by builder.
its probable the anchor rope locker drain above the v berth. there is a drain hose that can crack if water freezes .... my hose allowed water to stand... and it was busted... I feel certain that freezing weather caused this problem and from the looks of the rotten wood and rotten mattress covering it has been a long term leak...dave

Status
Not open for further replies.