V berth vent

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

J.B. Dyer

To get better cross ventilation I am getting ready to install an additional solar powered vent in the V berth area. There is a Solar Power 3000 that is closable from the inside to prevent green water entry in rough seas. My question is where to put it. I would really hate to cut a hole in the deck and am thinking about the posibility of installing the thing in the forward hatch. I am concerned that due to the angle of the hatch that there may be water entry possible during routine operation in rain when I'm not around to close it off. I'm looking for pros and cons on this. If any of you out there have any suggestions for the installion or associated problems with leakage I would like to hear it before I go to sawing any holes. Thanks!

P

Peter J. Brennan

Not familiar with layout

of the O'Day 34. But we have an O'Day 37 and we have two of those vents. One is in each of the two heads, the forward one being on the center line forward of the mast. In that position, it also helps to ventilate the forward stateroom (AKA V-berth) which also has a passive vent. I would not put it in the hatch cover for the reasons you state, as well as the fact that the solar cell would not be optimally oriented. These things actually run off a rechargeable cadmium battery which is hard wired in. You can replace that battery but it takes some doing.

J

J.B. Dyer

Thanks Pete

Thanks for your input, it doesn't look like I'm going to get much feedback on this one. I am familiar with the solar power vents, I have one in the cabin area over the galley. The problem that I'm having is there is no cross ventilation in the V berth at all. If I keep the port hole cracked open, it gets wet in the rain. If I keep it closed, it gets musty. I thought about putting a passive vent in, but if I have to cut a hole, I might as well put some power to it. Down here in the deep humid South, it is really a problem during the summer months when the boat is closed up for the week. Thanks again!

D

Dave

DOrade Vents

My 35 has dorade boxes just aft and outboard of the mast. On the inside they are just aft of the cabin bulkhead. These things are absolutely great, boat stays fresh all the time due to constantly moving air. You can point one vent forward and one aft to get cross ventilation and they have cover for severe weather at sea. I highly recommend them...yes it requires two holes but well worth it!! No moving parts, no batteries. Dave

J

Jim Priebe

Vberth vent

The previous owner of my Oday 34 put a dorade-type vent just abaft of the anchor locker. Though I have not witnessed it leaking, their is evidence that it has at some time or another. I had a solar powered vent in a previous boat right above the V-berth, and it worked very well with little to no water intrusion. Jim SV "Seabiscuit" O34

Status
Not open for further replies.