V Berth Mattress

Feb 9, 2005
Catalina 310 City Island, New York City
I need to replace the 20 year old inner spring mattress on the vberth. Catalina Direct sell an original replacement for approx $1,500 plus $300 shipping. They also sell split cushions for around the same price.
It was never the most comfortable mattress and I'm sure the new hi tech foam models would be a better option. Measuring for custom foam seems like it would be a problem to get right.
We spend most weekends on the boat and a do a few week long cruises during the summer also, so a good night's sleep is important. Would love to know what others have done, and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Wonder how jesses mattress is from 2019 holding up especially in the BVI
He is an innovative guy!
Still doing well. We rotate it a couple times a year but that's it. Would not go back to the innerspring one over the latex foam.

Good luck

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Has anyone tried that purple mattress, it kinda looks like silicone?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I prefer the aft berth. The V-berth puts noggins too close together if sleeping with heads toward the bow, and if the other direction, it is sleeping down hill - no go.

I've never found a satisfactory way to remove the spring mattress from the front berth. Cargo straps were suggested, but I've not tried it and wonder if the mattress would ever be the same after so doing.

Feb 9, 2005
Catalina 310 City Island, New York City
Feet forward if the only way to go otherwise no nice breeze through the hatch. You should not be "down hill" unless you have a ton of stuff in the aft berth (garage) as I do. We're not real heavyweights but the combined weight of my be able to live with that either. The innerspring mattress is flexible enough to fit out through the V-berth door and the companionway with just a little pushing and pulling. I have taken it out and put it back in again, no problem.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
You are tougher than me. I tried to get it out last summer to work on the air conditioner. After 30 minutes of tugging, pulling, etc, I gave it up. I proper it up with boathooks, steadied by the admiral and crawled underneath.