V-berth Hatch Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2011
Irwin 25 Falls Lake
Hi, I just bought a 1972 Irwin 25 that is in really good shape however, there are a couple of things I need to do to it. The only real problem with the boat is the Acrylic/Plexiglass tinted V-berth hatch. It is cracked almost in half, but repaired with silicone for now by the previous owner. I have done a little research on replacement hatches (Lewmar/Bomar) but not real sure if that is the easiest or best route to go. I have looked all over the internet for replacement hatches of the same type, but no luck. If anyone has any info on this it would be appreciated. Attached is a picture of what it looks like now.

Thanks,
Chase

Attachments

EJO

Jun 1, 2011
IRWIN 32 Classic South Haven
hatch

Chase the easiest way to repair this broken hatch is buy some plexi-glass from your local glass outlet. They come in regular or smoked. You can cut it or have it cut (make a template)
You can also rebuild the wood frame if you want. Use some caulk and screw it back on with SS screws. Please note that smoked PG is very expensive and harder to come by so you can go with clear and put some "limousine" film on it BEFORE you mount it to the frame. Works great I speek from experience.
Happy sailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.