V berth hatch on the cherubini hunter 36

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
Hey,

The hinge on my hatch above the vberth broke JUST as I was leaving the boat for the summer in Mexico. So I need to replace it - but I don't have any way to make measurements! I heard that Bomar lost all the jigs for these hatches in a fire - has anyone else replaced this hatch and if so, what did you replace it with?
Any measurements would also be greatly appreciated!

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
Posting this in case anyone does a search and finds this - I emailed Bomar with the serial number I'd written down before I left and they got back to me with the hatch type! It is
C139MED-STD-B
Now I just need to figure out how to get one down to Mexico... sigh

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Alctel:

One of my forward hatch hinges was broken when I bought my boat in 2007. I was able to repair it with the hatch in place. Still doing fine after 12 years. Not possible for me to usefully describe what I did without also attaching a picture of the fix. I will be at my boat probably on Monday and will take a close-up. Then write a reply. But if you have already purchased a new hatch, let me know. You won't need to fix the old one!

rardi

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
Alctel:

One of my forward hatch hinges was broken when I bought my boat in 2007. I was able to repair it with the hatch in place. Still doing fine after 12 years. Not possible for me to usefully describe what I did without also attaching a picture of the fix. I will be at my boat probably on Monday and will take a close-up. Then write a reply. But if you have already purchased a new hatch, let me know. You won't need to fix the old one!

rardi
Hi Rardi, that would be great thanks! Haven't bought the new one yet

Jun 21, 2007
Hello again Alctel:

Two pictures are attached. Maybe the your hinge is broken the same way?

Firstly 12 years ago, I can't remember exactly the steps. But the following could be useful if you think your hatch might be repaired similarly:

- Went to plumbing section of hardware store. Looked in the brass section. Found some sort of fitting that had enough brass for the job.
- Filed/ground down (or probably cut flat using a Dremel cutting wheel attachment) the jagged section of hinge.
- Cut the brass piece to size.
- Drilled into the brass piece a 1/4" hole cross-wise for inserting a thru-bolt to serve as the new hinge pin. (On this probably better to use next size down #12 or even a #10. Still plenty strong enough, but leaves more metal around it.)
- In the brass piece, drilled holes for the anchoring bolts to the hatch frame. I don't recall what size I used. Looks like a #10 though.
- Epoxied the brass piece to the aluminum frame. Aligned properly naturally! The epoxy only to keep the joint firmly enough for the next step.
- Using the proper size bit for the tap thread (say #10), and through the pre-drilled holes in the brass piece, drilled into the hatch's aluminum frame. Pretty deep, but not enough to penetrate all the way through to the plexiglass.
- Tap threads into the aluminum.
- Insert and tighten the #10 bolts.
- Insert the hinge pin.
- Check that it all works.
- Finally, I think that I removed (one at a time) the #10 bolts, coated the threads with epoxy, then re-torqued. Other than added strength, epoxy would help minimize galvanic corrosion between the SS bolts and the aluminum.

regards,
rardi
IMG_20190722_131221.jpg
IMG_20190722_131655.jpg

Last edited:

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
Yes, my hinge broke the exact same way!
This is amazing - thanks so much for this, you may have saved me 1500CAD. Will report back when I'm back at the boat in a couple of months

Jun 21, 2007
Hope the "out of the box" work-around is also a solution for your break.

Overnight, I recalled the plumbing piece I used. A brass pipe threaded end plug. Probably 1 1/4". The brass piece you see in my photo is the square center that a crescent wrench would fit onto to tighten the plug. The rest of the circle/threads were cut off.

I am impressed that you are taking your boat from The Straits of Juan de Fuca all the way down to Mexico. For the passage in open seas, trust you can find a way to safely secure the broken corner.

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
If you still need it the outside dimensions of the flange at the deck on mine are 22.25"x22.5". I have them because I’ve been considering replacing my hatches. If you decide to do so rather than repair I’d be interested to know what you use and how the replacement goes.

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
Hope the "out of the box" work-around is also a solution for your break.

Overnight, I recalled the plumbing piece I used. A brass pipe threaded end plug. Probably 1 1/4". The brass piece you see in my photo is the square center that a crescent wrench would fit onto to tighten the plug. The rest of the circle/threads were cut off.

I am impressed that you are taking your boat from The Straits of Juan de Fuca all the way down to Mexico. For the passage in open seas, trust you can find a way to safely secure the broken corner.
Thanks for the info!

And I've already moved my boat down last autumn, single-handed it all the way. I left it down there for hurricane season and will be flying back in October to cross to French Polynesia next spring