V berth fresh water tank removal

JDemo

Apr 1, 2016
Hunter 42cc Alameda, Ca
I have been watching water leak from under the V berth water tank for awhile on my '94 Passage 42'. I tested the source to verify it was not coming from the anchor locker. It would appear that I have a pin hole, or series of holes on the bottom of the aluminum tank.

The tank apparently is larger than the door to the stateroom and the overhead hatch.

Suggestions?

JDemo

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We had an aluminum holding tank under the V berth and the seams were leaking enough to corrode the entire bottom of the tank. What a mess. It had enough taper to it that I managed a half twist to get it out of our large hatch.

Have you pulled the tank out yet? Maybe you can get it to twist out the stateroom door. Other wise a saws-all or grinding wheel would make two pieces pretty quick.

All U Get

JDemo

Apr 1, 2016
Hunter 42cc Alameda, Ca
I have not removed it yet. Just eyeballed the size and my options. Sawzall was option two. How about a replacement tank. Any ideas?

JDemo

Apr 1, 2016
Hunter 42cc Alameda, Ca
Unfortunately Ronco does not have the mold for the tank that I need. You're right about the company. I used them for the waste tank. Super nice.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Perhaps 2 half sized tanks could fit through door way one at a time?
Then joint them at inlet and outlet pipes? Or you could just join them at outlet pipes. Both tanks will equalise as you top up or draw down. Both must have vent.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Unfortunately Ronco does not have the mold for the tank that I need. You're right about the company. I used them for the waste tank. Super nice.
Your best source for a custom welded tank is Triple M Plastics in Maine. Expensive compared to a Rotomolded tank from Ronco, but top quality. Triple M Plastic Products Inc As tight as the fit through your companionway hatch (cabin door) will be, be sure to adapt the old axiom, "measure twice, cut once."

But before giving up on a Ronco tank, you might try to find another location for a tank that's approximately the same size where one of their tanks would fit. A little re-plumbing to connect it to you water pump would cost you a lot less than a custom welded tank and you'd replace any lost storage space with all that space under the v-berth.

20 years is about the average lifespan for an aluminum water tank, so if any of y'all have tanks approaching that age or older, it's time to start keeping a close eye on it for signs of leaking.

Last edited:

JDemo

Apr 1, 2016
Hunter 42cc Alameda, Ca
Great suggestions all. I thinks I'm relegated to the v berth location however. 67 gallons is hard to relocate. I have also considered the soft bladder option. Or perhaps a series of bladders. No worry about getting them in or out. I thought of securing them with PVC conduit. Has any one tried the bladders before? Opinions?

JDemo

Apr 1, 2016
Hunter 42cc Alameda, Ca
Please view my post on Big Boat v berth water tank.

Scott at Ronco agreed to make tank if enough people order

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
Check out on Facebook "S/V our way too" or "S/V Puesta del sol". Drop me a message on this as I can send you dura-weld contact. I spoke with ronco early in the spring and did not come to a point where they could make a tank with baffles in it. I think you need the baffles given the location and movement in the bow. Note: our way too has excellent pics on this tank and the port tank. The othe boat, mine, has pictures on bow tank and holding tank. Both of us also replaced vinyl as well and we each used different options

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
Forgot - also changed the dimension of the tank to allow it to fit through the doorway without losing capacity

JDemo

Apr 1, 2016
Hunter 42cc Alameda, Ca
I just sent you an email. If you can provide information there, it would be appreciated