V-Berth. Can they really be used under way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Claudio

I have personally never been able to sleep on a V-berth under way. I prefer my feet to face forward and my ears as close to midships as possible. That is why I enjoyed the forward cabin of my Hunter 430. I like the H460 but it comes with a huge V-berth. My question to anyone inclined to give his experience--sleeping on a V-berth under way-- is, Can it really be done? Is it not uncomfortable? Is the V-berth on the Hunter 460 really more suited to sleep at the docks? I ask this because I am considering a H460. Thank you.

R

Richard Owen

V-berths under way

I think some v-berths can be used under way - depending on how bad the conditions are. There are some conditions, hpwever, which demand a proper sea berth - with lee cloths - in the centre of the boat - nothing else will allow any degree of comfort. The v-berth on the 460 is not suitable for use underway as it comes from the factory - the berth is built for accessibility, which means it is too easy to fall off the side of the berth. One might fit lee cloths and make it usable in fairly calm conditions, but I don't think the bow is the best place to be if things get rough. On this boat, the 2 aft cabins would offer a better spot. Pick the leeward one. If you like the boat, and want to use it for passage-making, I don't think it would take much to get the proper sea berths, Delete the 2 chairs in the cabin and add a berth with lee cloths, and add a lee cloth to the port side of the settee. ROwen

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Vee berths under way.

The biggest problem with most vee-berth set-ups is that whilst heeled you lie at an angle, which often means your head is actually LOWER than your feet. This is stupid. No one can sleep like that when the boat is going through tacks (foredeck and winch noise aside). Also the exaggerated evidence of the boat's pitching is hardly conducive to relaxation. Claudio is not alone in thinking the vee berths questionable for under way. Blue-water sailors often recognise proper seagoing yachts by their having respectable sea berths where they ought to be, in the middle of the boat. This is one reason why quarter berths are traditionally associated with 'seaworthy' yachts. They are out of the way, in the right part of the boat (when not stuffed too far aft) and, when given good protection from open companionways, very secure. No one bothers you there and you can't roll out. Having done my share of real-world interior design on yachts I agree with those who see vee-berths as in-port-only accommodations. Personally I have never slept more than once or twice in one anyway-- always seemed to like the coolness of the settees myself. (BTW on Antigone, our Raider 33, we had NO vee-berth-- just two settee berths, two quarters and a head/sail room forward.) JC 2

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
nasty

Wonderblond and I were stuffed into a V-berth during a ten day passage on a friend's boat about five years ago. Other v-berth problems that JCII didn't mention include: there's NO way to ventillate a v-berth while underway, and after about 4 days of offshore double occupancy it starts smelling like an NHL locker room; people sleeping in v-berths tend to go airborn off every sixth wave when going to weather; anchor chain rattles in choppy seas, and in a v-berth you're only separated from the chair locker by a thin bulkhead; when heeled over, one exhausted person could sleep for short times on the lee side of a v-berth, but not two. Fortunately, this boat carried three huge spinnakers, and when we took them all out of their turtles we were able to create a nylon nest where two people could sleep until the next tack.

P

Patti Polk

I tried it

on our new 460 while sailing back to Annapolis from Mystic. I tried sleeping across the V-berth to try and stay in the bed but still ended up scrunched up when we heeled or hit a big wave. If you really tuck in the covers tight and use pillows as cushions on each side, it may be a bit better. Still love our boat!!!

C

Claudio

V-Berth

Thank you for your comments. They confirm my own experience. I like to envision all the parts of my boat as having double and not a single function. For example, the settee can be a berth under way in addition to its own function. The bilges can store great amount of stuff, specially pachaged foods. I cannot see a huge space like the V-berth of the H460 serve only one function. It seems to make more sense to design that space like the Catalina 47 did, where one can sleep under way and also have a wonderful berth at anchor. I still like the H460 better but I wish things were a little different. Thank you again for your answers. Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.