Using roller furling

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

New Boat

I am a new boat owner. I just purchased a 2005 Hunter 216. While I have crewed on other boats, roller furlers are new to me. Following the instructions of the manual I turned the drum on the Hunter about 8 times. I then attached the integrated jib / forestay to the pin at the front of the boat. During the process of pinning the jib / forestay the jib became unfurled. To stop the jib from moving in the wind I manually put the sail around the forestay and tied it in place. I then proceeded to attach the shrouds and tighten them up. I am now wondering: 1) what I need to do to get the Furler so the spring line can make it furl 2) Do I need to take off the shrounds and the jib / forestay and start again? I am sure this seems easy to most of the sailers here and i would very much appreciate your thoughts Thanks. -Chris

J

JungleJetJock

What brand

They way you described your set up is a little confusing. Most roller furlers work like this. You have a long extruded piece of plastic that goes around your entire fore stay. At the bottom of this extrusion is a drum that also goes around the for stay. Your sail is slid up a groove in the plastic extrusion. The furling line wraps around the drum when the sail is unfurled so by pulling on it, the line unwinds turning the drum and the extrusion thereby winding he sail around the extrusion. If the line is wrapped all the way up and the sail is wrapped all the way up they are blocking each other and have to manually unwind either the sail or the line (with sail being easiest) and rerun your jib sheets as they normally would be. There is no need to tie the sail in place, just cleat off the end of your furling line so that it can't unwind Make sure to wrap the line is the right direction so that the UV protection on your sail is showing otherwise the sun will eat your sail since it is wrapped backwards and no longer being protected.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Sounds like...

..the instructions are unnecessarily complicated. The way a furler works, either your control line is unfurled or your sail is. I would install the headstay/furler with no sail attached. Then roll the furler to spool in the control line until the drum is nearly full. This will be the position of the control line while you are using the headsail. Now install the headsail with the sheets attached to the clew. Holding a slight tension on the jib sheet, pull the control line to furl the sail. Allow the sheet to make two turns on the furled headsail before stopping the furling. Snug both the sheets and furling control line. A little trick, never allow the sail to unfurl without a small amount of tension on the control line. This will keep the spool relatively tight and prevent an override.

R

Ray T

216 jib furler

Chris I have a 216 and this is how you do it. Wrap the jib around the forstay with the leech sun protector cover on the outside. If you dont have a sun cover but a slide on zip up cover it doesent make any difference how you roll it. After you furl the jib attach the furling line. When you unfurl the jib you will you will roll up the furling line. You can fine tune it from there,such as more wraps on the furling line so you get a complete furl when the jib is under tension. Make sure the furling line isnt rubbing on the drum,I had to add a fairlead to accomplish this. I think you will really enjoy this boat,It is a lot of fun to sail. Ray T

May 16, 2004
Hunter 216 Lake Hartwell GA
Roller Furling on a 216

Come on folks, if you don't have a 216, please don't attempt to tell others how something should be done on their boat unless you are certain that your answer applies to the 216! ie: The jib does not come off of the forestay on a 216 and neither is it attached with an extruded piece of plastic. If you must respond, at least include a statement that "This is the way it works on my Hunter model XXX." Ray has it correct although to save the fine tuning time, roll the jib all the way in without the jib sheets attached and attach the furling line to the drum. Take two turns around the drum as if you were unwinding the sail while keeping the sail tightly wrapped up. Then attach the jib sheets and pull out the jib. This should put enough turns on the furling drum to completely re-wrap the jib when it is under pressure. If not, you now know how to make the necessary adjustments. Be aware that the furling drum has a very limited capacity so make sure it doesn't bind when jib is fully unfurled. This could be due to two many initial turns or using too heavy a furling line.

Status
Not open for further replies.