Using only the main in heavier winds??

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roger Cunningham

If we go out in fairly heavy winds and use only the mainsail (not reefed) will the boat handle properly? I've been told that it may not respond well to steering...? Or, vice-versa..what if we only use the small jib and no main? Thanks!

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

"Properly"

I suppose it depends on what your definition of "properly" is. As apparent beginners, I would say "properly" means what you can handle. In heavy winds, I would stick with the main only if you're asking about one or the other. If you find the boat is over-canvassed you can easily reef (well, it's easier than muscling down a jib & raising the main, etc). That said, I would make an additional recommendation: If it seems to be blowing pretty good, start out with a reefed main cuz it is about a jillion times easier to shake out a reef than to tuck one in! As far as the tiller responsiveness, unless there is NO wind, you should be able to have plenty of way on to be able to steer the boat. LaDonna

M

mark williams

main only in heavy wind

the cat 22 doesnt steer well under one sail,be it the main or jib regardless of wind speed.use a smaller jib and or reef the main.I use a 150 jib all the time in okla weather and just let the main out.

A

Aldo

Try a Storm Jib

If you want to point into the wind and still have the boat balanced in heavy winds, a storm jib and reefed main is the answer. This way you still have sail area in front of and behind the mast. On a 22 we don't sail through storms, but when the wind gets too strong for the full sails, you can still sail the boat without having too much weather helm. If you only have one sail up, either the main or jib, the boat won't be balanced. This can be scary if you are experiencing excessive weather helm, because it feels like the tiller could break. Excessive lee helm is not comfortable either. Another advantage to the storm jib is that it puts air over the main and creates lift so that you can still point well into the wind. If you are trying to point with just the main, you will probably just go back and forth across the same water and not make much headway at all. Aldo

Status
Not open for further replies.