Using an extension on the trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2004
Oday 23 Bullock's Cove, RI
I have read some of the posts on trailers and the extension bars. I purchased a Triad trailer for my O'Day 23 and it came with an 8 ft extension. I use the trailer twice a year - to launch and to retrieve at each end of the season. My extension slides into another hollow tube. It is painted and yes it does "rust" but I clean it with a wire brush and give it a coat every other year and so far it lasts.
My biggest problem is that the extension no longer fits into its storage tube because it has a small bow in it. I now lay it on the trailer and tie it down with some straps. It is very secure.

However my question is about launching and recovery. I use the extension bar and - based on receomendations of fiends who should know - I lower the jack so that the wheel is just touching the ground. It was suggested that I do this so that the extension is supported and to stop the bouncing as we haul the boat out.

What do you think about this? What is the right procedure when hauling the boat in or out?

I ask becuase, 2 years in a row, the trailr jack has "bent" the lower section about half way between the wheel and the trailer frame. I am usually on the boat so I cannot see what is happeneing. ANy suggestions about the correct way to launch which will save me the cost of replacing the trailer stand again would be appreciated.

Thank you for your ideas and suggestions

James

Dec 9, 2006
Oday 22 Hickory, NC
I don't think the wheel should be down at all! Too much unevenness going up and down the ramp. Could be the reason the tube bent too. I would get the tube bent back straight or replace it and use it the way it intended. The up and down at the ramp should be a worry.
By the way, a friend after having to replace all of the springs,shackels, U-Bolts etc.; now rinces the trailer off with a 5-gallon insectide sprayer each time it gets in the salt water. No rust since!
Jack

Sep 19, 2006
SCHOCK santana27' lake pleasant,az
the jack was never meant for transporting at all just parking and if the tube is perma bent replace it with a better one. flex is ok by the way

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Also, with the trailer jack extended by that much, any irregularities in the ramp will have a lot of torque to bend the jack. You really shouldn't have it down when launching or retrieving the boat.

Oct 16, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Mesa AZ
The extension that was on my trailer originally had a ball on one end and the hitch coupling on the other. The trailer spare flipped over so it was supporting the front of the trailer (it had an axle with bearings) . It was for beach launching where you only needed to go in a straight line. The ball on the extension allowed it to flex. I had to change it for use on multi-lane ramps. There is no way to use the support wheel without causing damage unless the extension itself can flex.

May 22, 2004
Oday 23 Bullock's Cove, RI
Thanks

Thanks to all for the replies. I agree that the jack should not be down but .... not knowing you listen to the "experts" and then learn by experience.

FYI - I intend to replace the jack when I retrieve the trailer from its storage at a local farm.

James

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Tongue weight

If you have bent the existing trailer extension then I would say you have too much weight on the trailer tongue or the trailer and boat are a mismatch.

Check the tongue weight on your present setup. 10% of the weight of the boat, or about 300 lbs for your boat, on the trailer hitch. If it’s more, then you’ll have two ways to solve the problem, 1 move the trailer axles forward or, 2 move the boat backwards on the trailer.

The easiest is the axles, look at your trailer in the area where the axles are attached to the main sides of the trailer. The axle is attached to the bottom center of the spring, each end of the spring is attached to the trailer with one long bolt at each end. Now, the question is are these long bolts through the spring attached directly to the main sides of the trailer or is there another member between them.

If the trailer was built for that boat and only that boat then the trailer was cheapen by attaching the axles permanently and it becomes very difficult to change it.

If the trailer was built for many models or sizes of boats then one trailer can be adjusted to fit all and one of the adjustments is the ability to move the axles forward or backwards to fit the centering weight of each boat. To do this the manufacture attaches the ends of the springs to a separate smaller frame and then this frame is attached to the mainframe. The fender will be attached to this separate frame so the fender aligns with the wheels when they move. This extra frame is attached to the mainframe with just a couple bolts that can be rebolted in another location or with U-bolts that allows this extra frame to slide on the mainframe.

If the axles are not adjustable then the boat will have to be moved on the bunks. After you launch the boat move the bow chock backwards by moving the stand or shimming the chock it’s self.

One inch can make a big difference.

Just make sure you do not go to far. Unweighting the tongue affects the stability of the boat and trailer going down the highway. If the boat and trailer sways just a little at any speed when going perfectly straight then you’ll need more tongue weight.

Sep 19, 2006
SCHOCK santana27' lake pleasant,az
tongue ext

i used 80ksi 2 1/2" x 1/4" sq tube about 12' long it flexes alot but mind you my boat weighs #5000 and it doesnt bother me at all just everyone else cause i take up most of the ramp when launching:)

D

David Sebastian

trailer extension

I once read someone had a square tube extension that he inserted into the trucks recieveing hitch, inserted the pin and a ball at the opposite end to hitch onto the boat trailer. I don't quite understand what your extension looks like? Is it similar to this description? I don't recall how long the extension was or size of his boat, it apperantly worked for him. I would be afraid of wrecking my trucks hitch with my tilt trailer and oday 22 with that type of extension. My trailer wasn't built for my boat, I had to move the wheels forward and wench stand back to get about 300 lb tongue load.
My trailer has a metal skid under the tongue and I am wondering if that would be strong enough to slide down the ramp, though it might get stuck in a hole or over the end of a concrete ramp.
My idea of an extension is a cup end to the tow vehicle and a ball at the outer end and 2 "swivel" wheels under a cross piece under the extension at the outer end and 2 chains, one each side back to the outer ends of the bumper or to hooks under the frame to steady the extension for moveablity while backing the trailer.
Please, any comments on my idea? You guys comments on trailer extensions came at just the right time for me or I would eventually have a bent jack tube also.

Dec 23, 2008
David Sebastian

An ext. permanently attached to the trailer that extends the trailer tongue allows the trailer to be maneuvered just like normal, but just longer overall. The system your talking about would not allow you to hook it up and drive around the parking lot and lineup on the launch ramp without a lot of practice. You would have to align the trailer and the tow vehicle for a straight back down the launch ramp, disk connect the trailer and insert your idea before launch.

Your idea is great and it would allow one to have an extension greater than can be achieved with the permanently attached variety. The permeant extension will only extend between 4 to 6 feet in length or you run into the problem that James 19955 has of a bent extension. Your idea could be almost the length of ones trailer 20 to 24 feet!

What you’re talking about is basically a extra long mini trailer to fit between your boat trailer and the tow vehicle. This trailer does not have to be very strong. The axle only has to carry the weight of your boat trailer tongue or about 300 to 500 lbs. and the length has to just pull the weight of your boat and trailer a couple hundred feet, a broom handle might do that.

I would think a length of 2” steel pipe 8 to 16 feet long would be perfect. An axle from a garden utility cart or wagon capable of caring up to 500 lbs with inflatable tires of 8 to 10 inches and a wheel span of 2 to 3 feet would work great and be light enough to lift up onto your boat trailer for storage. Have these items welded together with a ball very near the axle and a coupler at the other end.

Do not attach any chains to the vehicle or boat trailer to make it rigid, you want this mini trailer to move with the terrain, up down left and right, you could bend your bumper or bend the trailer itself.

This item must be attached at the launch ramp and not in the parking lot!

See drawing!

Attachments

D

David Sebastian

trailer extension

Watercollors

Being a draftsman and designer I like your Trailer ext pdf drawing. I am concerned about backing 2 trailers though, it looks like a nightmare to me, but I suppose the big rigs we see on the interstates have to do some backing. On my idea, I should have mentioned the wheels on the extension need to be on a pivot strong enough to support the boat trailer tongue and let the wheels turn as needed and to clear under the extension bar or pipe. The pivot needs to be offset ahead of the wheels and axle in order to rotate when manuvering. What do you think?

David Sebastian

Dec 23, 2008
David,

As stated you can not back this rigging through the parking lot and onto the launch ramp.

Align your trailer and tow vehicle for a straight backdown the ramp, block the trailer wheels and disconnect the vehicle and add the mini trailer between and then pack straight down the ramp. If the ball is right over the mini trailer axle supporting all of the tongue weight you would have to have the mini trailer to almost a 45 degree angle for the tongue to hit the mini trailer wheels. If you had to angle the mini trailer that much during launch you would have trailers and vehicles all over the launch ramp.

On recovery you can tow this double trailer through the parking lot for final disconnect.

As a draftsperson draw everything up to scale, you'll see your clearances.

I'm a retired graphic designer, my drawings are to scale!

Status
Not open for further replies.