Using a slip for the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff

I have some questions for those of you who keep your 170/146 in a slip during the Summer. I have never left my boat in the water anywhere, so I am a bit ignorant on this. I am considering leasing a slip on my favorite lake next season so I need some information. The first question has to do with protection. I would think that you would want to cover the boat some way to keep the crap out of it. What do you guys use and how well does it work? The second question has to do with security. Obviously you would take your valuables with you, but how much of your rigging do you leave with your boat? To me, the big advantage of a slip is I envision jumping on the boat, raising the sails, and being on the lake in five minutes. Since a sailboat does not have a "Key", so to speak, that also means anyone could have your boat on the lake in five minutes. Also, some easily removable parts (like sails and motors)are expensive to replace. What are your thoughts? Finally, what should I be on the look out for when leasing a slip? Is there anything to be watchful for that I have not thought of? Are there any special preparations when I dock and leave my boat that need to be performed. Is there any equipment that I will want to have (besides fenders). Thanks for the help

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Tolchester, MD
Marina Rules & Requirements?

Seems you should start with the agreement you will need to sign for the slip rental with the management of the facility. That may tell you typically 'they' are not responsible for aything lost or stolen. If you want to cover the boat and have a cover, that's your cost and your option. Then look at what typical slip holders of your size are doing and the level of security and control of the entire facility. Is it locked and gaited with push button combination accesss or card access, after-hours security? etc. Do people remove their sails?(never seen that) Stow or typically just padlock the outboard motor to the transom (if applicable). Maybe you'd run a wire rope with swaged ends for locking the bow eye or some other fixed point on the boat and brass padlock lock it to the dock ( that's what we used to do with inflatible dingys in a 'questionable' transient area). Lastly, you are responsible for the dock lines, spring lines, chafe protection and fenders, and that your boat has all the cleats you need. Typically, Marinas will not take responsibility to adjust your lines so changes such as high winds, water level changes and storms are your problem too. Maybe a mooring could be easier and more cost effective! Presumably you save the set-up and take-down time, launch ramp fees and the wear & tear on a vehicle for towing.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Bottom Paint

You're right about envisioning that it would be easy to jump on the boat and go; however, some drawbacks I see are: Bottom Paint: this you'll need, it's a dirty job to keep it clean and refreshed. You'll have to develop a waterline strip unless your boat has one already, or a boot stripe. Boat cleaning: This is much easier to do at home than in the slip. You've got all the cleaning stuff at the house so whatever you need is just a minute away. Ditto for waxing. Boat Covers: can be a pain. Stuff to go sailing with: Everything removed has to be put on and then be removed - walking up and down the dock. Forget one critical item and it's a trip back home - maybe even a daysailing killer. With the boat on a trailer you can have a lot of stuff in the boat and ready to go. What isn't in the boat is in the trunk or the back seat. At launching time these items can easily be placed in the boat prior to splashing. On our Falcon 16 I had launching down to a science and could splash her within 5 minutes of arriving at the boat ramp. The mast had the stays already attached so all I had to do was raise the mast and attach the forestay and that was done. Put the gooseneck in the mast grouve and the other end in the boom crotch and that was done. Reeve the main sheet, attach the 3hp outboard, remove the tiedown strap, remove the trailer brakelights and it was ready. My wife loaded the boat with any other stuff from the car. If one looks at launching and retrival and how time and work could be saved I'd think it could fairly fast. I would think a boat this size shouldn't take that long to launch and retrive but then everything is a little different. The boat we have now is kept in a slip. This last Thursday it took us 5 hours to get everything on and ready to go. Granted, this was our first cruise of the year but, still, there was LOTS of stuff to be loaded and 'little things' to be taken care of. We also got fuel in this time period. Maybe this wasn't a particularly good example but it can fool you how long it takes, it shure did me. We wound up staying at home that night and leaving the next morning, instead.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Floating dock

Jeff, Here's some of the things I was looking for, and found: floating dock, 15amp 120v power, city water, night security guard, storage box and gated access by card reader. I don't cover my 170. I wash my 170 with the hose when I get there and dry it with a towel. Although I suppose a cover would work for me. There is never any real mess to clean, just the occasional bird poop and spiders. I leave my PFD's, lines, anchor, paddle and Minnkota on the 170. I take my compass, cushions, pillows, battery charger and flags to my lockable dock storage box, mostly to keep them out of the weather. I leave my extension cord and hose on the dock for my neighbors to use if they like. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable if this wasn't a gated marina with 400 boats, most of which are worth far more than mine. I like having water and power right there, it's really convenient. It used to take me 20 minutes to setup and launch. Now I probably still spend that much time dinking around before sailing, but the big difference is not having to deal with the launch ramp when it's time to go home. I usually try to make a day of it and hang out in the boat for awhile when I come back to the slip. I plug in the battery charger and chat with the neighbors. I have to say I'm having more fun not trailering this year... and isn't that what we all want. I hope you can find something that will work for you next year Jeff. JerryA

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Jeff- No bottom paint here!

Hi Jeff... I agree totally with Jerry A - but with a big difference... My slip is in a tiny marina, no gate, no guard, but it is right across the street. L eave the same things on board, except PFDs. I leave 2 of the ordinary kind on board, but always stow my inflatables at hoome. Otherwise, motor, paddle, towel, sponge, lines, sails, all stay. I have no electricity, but don't need it, as my motor is gas. Hose is good. I use a boom cover, but no boat cover. Bought one, sent it back. My last boat had a custom cover that totally protected the cockpit and was easy to put on. Thosee I have seen for the 146/170 are absurd - like a big canvas shower cap - I felt like all 3 of the stooges trying to get it to stay on - even beached her to try and do it right by getting around all her sides. And because of these boats high boom, none of the mfgs I've seen have a cover that goes over the boom - so you still need a separate boom cover. I have the dock lines rigged so I just cast off and they stay on the dock, ready to be picked up at end of sail. The boat's insureed, though I actually need to call them and check on theft of sails, motor, etc. But again, I think there are for more valuable and equally accessible boats near mine. I love having it at the slip for the near instant sailing it provides. OH - BOTTOM PAINT...!! Maybe John N has different water conditions, but I do NOT put on bottom paint! I simply beach the boat, and have a bucket and scrubby sponge. (Hose is nice, but not mandatory.) Lean it over on one side, scrub with soft side of sponge, use scrubby gently on stubborn growth. I don't use any products on it, since I am doing it right in the lake, and do't want those chemicals going into the water. And it;s just noe necessary. Do the other side - you're done! Last year I did this once, and then since I brought her to Cape Cod Bay and moored her on the flats, sitting on the sand in salt water seemed to kill all the fresh water stuff! I figure at most twice a yr of the sponge bath would be fine! Sorry for this long post - hope it helps!!

J

Jeff

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. I wish there was a good cover solution as I do like a clean boat. Mine is only uncovered when trailering and sailing. It stays pretty neat. I spent some time talking to the marina operator. Everything seems pretty secure. The marina is located in a very small town where everyone knows everyone else. Also, many boats stay occupied during the season and the owners watch out for each other. It is only a 40 slip marina. No power, No water, no boat box. Still, I will talk to some who slip there now to get their impression. The lake is very clean. This is primarily why it is my favorite lake. There are others closer to my house, but they are over run by PWC and other smoker boats. On this lake, you can see bottom in 20+ foot depths I think the wax job I put on every year at the beginning of the season will hold off most of the unwanted growth. Probably one scrub down mid season and one at the end will do.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Keep us posted

Let us know how you make out. BTW, what kind of wax do you use? Cheers, Tereza

J

Jeff Wessel

Not impressed

Well, I went down to the docking area to see the facility and talk to some of the people leasing there. Being a couple of hours away from Chicago drives pricing well above value ($1500 per season). The renters seemed happy enough, but all I saw was a bunch of boats pounding themselves into mush on the docks. There were no pilings to tie your boat to between you and the guy next to you. Of course, the lake was churning pretty good on July 4 with 17 mph winds and motorboats all over the place. I am thinking that a boat lift would make the experience worth while, but I really don't want to dump two grand into a piece of equipment I will only use on rented real estate. The day was awsome for sailing. The boat was really moving. Temperature about 75 degrees. Only had a few people wiz close by on motor boats. Too stupid or discourteous to understand the effect of their wake on an otherwise perfectly balanced sailboat on a good course. Tereza, I use Zymol cleaner wax on my boat.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Slip or no slip?

Jeff - what have you decided after seeing the marina? Mine is not the greatest either, but it IS across the street! Our lake is so infeted with Asian Millefoil that I am really parked in pea soup, not docked in water! Depth is a mere 3 ft - I'm the last slip in! But I know that without that slip, I would hardlly ever sail. Hats off to you diehard trailor sailors - I view my yearly trip to Cape Cod Bay with boat in tow with dread!! (Just the driving/launching part - not the sailing part...;) )

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Mast-up trailering seems like a workable solution

Sounds like a good compromise. For me, it's worth the downsides since I know myself, and I would rarely take her out if I had to trailer/rig/launch twice every time. I had never heard of the mast-up-on-trailer option - that actually does sound pretty good, for all the reasons you mention. No such thin exists around here. The downside of a slip is that I am really lousy at that whole process - it's like I'm doing it from scrath every time! Good luck!

J

Jeff

Done deal

I talked to the commadore at the club. In addition to membership fees, which were very reasonable, if I pay an extra $100 per season, I can park my boat on club property right next to the water. They have a crane that will lift the boat off of the trailer and into the water when I am ready to go. No need to move the trailer. If I don't like the crane, the ramp is 50 feet away. I have to go see how this crane operates, but this, as they say, is a no brainer. I am going up to see them this Sunday to sign up. Haven't decided if I will join for this season or not, but if there is an opening, I am inclined to.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Crane sounds like the way to go!

How totally cool! No extra charge for the crane??

Status
Not open for further replies.