Using a cordless milwaukee on winch

May 17, 2014
hunter 380 Plano, TX
M18 hole hawg.jpg
I was looking online and Milwaukee has what appears to be the right sized winch buddy now. Has anyone tried or know of somebody who has the:

M18 FUEL™ HOLE HAWG® 1/2" Right Angle Drill

this looks so much more comfortable than the last model and I am just hoping it has the torque. This would be for winching the main and etc. on a hunter 380

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
That's an awful expensive, NON-waterproof item to have in the cockpit of a 38' sailboat, IMO. Also, I'm sure it will require two hands to operate safely (7.4#), which leaves the operator none for him/herself to hold on with.

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
have been using the Milwaukee M28 on Java for the last 3 years. Works great for raising either sail or bringing them in. Roller main. Works so well it I can be taken up the mast two times before needing to re-charge. Couple of dock mates liked so well they went out and bought their own. Please note that I have the 28 volt model.

May 17, 2014
hunter 380 Plano, TX
James,
Thanks for the info,,,the m28 sounds like a winner. Since you have used it I was wondering if you think the ergonomics and how the m18 is held would be easier for the admiral to handle.

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
The M28 is HEAVIER but doable even by Joan. It has two speeds so you want to use the lower speed/higher torque setting. We have actually sold a couple of these to other boaters after they used ours...

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
I use the m28 on my Catalina 30. It's a little awkward, but great for the halyard and furler.
I initially had the original Cranker, but one day it just fell out of the chuck and into the water!
Now I have the Ultimate Cranker, which replaces the chuck and has a set screw, so it won't fall off.
A side benefit is that you have a great right-angle drill for other projects.

May 17, 2014
hunter 380 Plano, TX
Well obviously my wife is a hard woman to shop for. Her birthday is tomorrow and I give a brand new mind you, M28 to make her life easier on the winch. You would have thought it was an iron

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Well obviously my wife is a hard woman to shop for. Her birthday is tomorrow and I give a brand new mind you, M28 to make her life easier on the winch. You would have thought it was an iron
Danger Will Rogers! Danger!

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Danger, Will Robinson.

Omg plan iron, you never mentioned giving the Milwaukee M28 to the Admiral as a birthday present. Clearly, that merits a DeWault. I see a candlelight prime rib dinner in your future.