User Friendly Sail Trim Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
I'm trying to do a better job of shaping the sails on an O'Day 25, Ctr/Brd, with the help of Don Guillette's charts.
I'm also just a bit lazy when it comes to dealing with unhandy controls and my crew is just about as old as I am, thus not so agile in jumping up to the mast to tweek the outhaul as she once was.
My thought was to move the five controls aft to a new bridge over the hatch along with the traveler. Make that four controls to the bridge, leaving the outhaul flying on mid boom so as to not interact with the cunningham.
To avoid the time and inconvenience of a winch--- just grab and jerk using clam cleats would be nice--- a purchase on each line would be necessary.

This is what I had in mind:
Jib Tack Downhaul 2:1
Jib Clew Downhaul/Tweeker used to tension jib leach and/or to inhaul 3:1
Main Cunningham 4:1
Boom Vang 6:1
Main (loose footed) Outhaul 6:1
Do these purchases seem about right? What would you suggest? Different approach?

All comments would be most appreciated.
Geohan

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
They all sound more than adequate to me.

By the jib clew downhaul/tweeker I'm assuming it's pretty much the same as a barber hauler, or in-haul. Rather than cluttering up the deck with the extra tackle I'd run it through a cheek block to a cabin top winch. If you're tweeking because you don't have an adjustable jib fairlead... I would address that with some priority if you're going to all the trouble to really dial in your trim system.

Another option to the in haul is a second, inside track that will allow you to actually change the sheeting angle.

geehaw

May 15, 2010
O-day 25 shoal keel Valdez
Here is my thoughts on it. I like the Idea and if you do it want lots of pics might do my own. Abridge over the companionway might cause difficulties getting in and out. It would have to be pretty stout. 6:1 that means 50 lbs of pull equals 300 lbs of pull then all the other controls pulling. Traveler can it be made long enough to be effective after running all the other controls there to? It would be great to get it out from in front of the companionway though. Also this would put main sheet more into center of boom, can it take the strain?

I have a deck organizer on each side of cabin top and run two lines back on each side between the hatch slide and grab rails. Its so narrow at the front though not sure if you could get three lines through there if you needed more. Currently I run Jib and Main, Halyard, Boom Vang, and Front Reef line back to the cockpit but might change this around. Another option might be two smaller bridges coming from the outside of the Hatch Rails and bridge the Grab Rail and down to the walkway deck. This might get the lines above the Grab and Hatch Rails making room for more then two lines. Might need to elevate the organizers also. Then the traveler could stay where it is. You could make the bridges as long as you want depending how much of the walkway you are willing to block. I don't really understand the Jib controls you want but this arrangement might allow for stand up blocks between the Hatch and Grab Rails for these.

Well just some Rambling thoughts Greg.

Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
Greg
Thanks for your insights. Clearly I have some design work to do with somewhat nebulous data. As for mid-sheeting the boom, perhaps others will chime in with their experiences and/or tips on possible information sources. Some "reverse engineering" may help also in estimating some of the unknowns. Sounds like some 'pondering by the fireside' for the wet, cold, blustery NW winter evenings.
Again, thanks for your help, good thoughts.
Geohan

Aug 24, 2012
Sailstar/Bristol/Herrshof Courier 26 Kemah , TX
yes , I am trying to order these items, however the system is rejecting my password, could you folks but PayPay on here! Pay Pal works all the time , every time, quickly and smoothly ! anyway , if you want my order , send me an email with whatever the current password to order is , eh ?
dlblandjr@att.net

Aug 24, 2012
Sailstar/Bristol/Herrshof Courier 26 Kemah , TX
Here is my thoughts on it. I like the Idea and if you do it want lots of pics might do my own. Abridge over the companionway might cause difficulties getting in and out. It would have to be pretty stout. 6:1 that means 50 lbs of pull equals 300 lbs of pull then all the other controls pulling. Traveler can it be made long enough to be effective after running all the other controls there to? It would be great to get it out from in front of the companionway though. Also this would put main sheet more into center of boom, can it take the strain?

I have a deck organizer on each side of cabin top and run two lines back on each side between the hatch slide and grab rails. Its so narrow at the front though not sure if you could get three lines through there if you needed more. Currently I run Jib and Main, Halyard, Boom Vang, and Front Reef line back to the cockpit but might change this around. Another option might be two smaller bridges coming from the outside of the Hatch Rails and bridge the Grab Rail and down to the walkway deck. This might get the lines above the Grab and Hatch Rails making room for more then two lines. Might need to elevate the organizers also. Then the traveler could stay where it is. You could make the bridges as long as you want depending how much of the walkway you are willing to block. I don't really understand the Jib controls you want but this arrangement might allow for stand up blocks between the Hatch and Grab Rails for these.

Well just some Rambling thoughts Greg.
Good thoughts Greg !
I run my Bristol 26 rigged European Folk boat style, when only running gib and main, ie the boom controls run from the aft end of the boom to the top of the stern lazarette, ie no traveler needed. through stand-up blocks forward to fore part of cockpit where i am seated when on tiller duty. the leverage is excellent, these can also g thru more forward blocks and tie to tiller , or I more generally tie the gib sheets to tiller , when I want a tiller break, either way seems to work quite nicely!
Dony, S/V "Pretty Girl", Bristol 26

Status
Not open for further replies.