Usefulness of a boom slider(s) on a Selden boom/mast on a 386

Nov 14, 2016
Hunter 386 QCYC
I am the newish owner of a 386, still learning all the optimization steps. The boom came with an empty Rodkicker into which I have installed an air-spring (to allow for easier "vang" and topping lift (TL) work from the cockpit). The topping lift, with an air-spring in the rodkicker is really there only for either a) bosun's chair lift; b) extra halyard in emergency; c) topping lift if the rodkicker blows out.

The boom has three (3!!) boom sliders along the bottom of the boom, aft of the rodkicker attachment (see attached picture - you may have to zoom in). I cannot figure out what the previous owners installed these for - given it is a furling main and there is no time when one uses vertical reefing.

Thoughts please?

Hamish
OHM-01.jpg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Maybe just installed by Seldon, not knowing what the exact boat configuration would be in the end…

They certainly don’t hurt anything, but if they bother you, you can probably figure out a way to get them out..

I just added a Seldon Rodkicker to my old O’Day 322 this year. I really like it. I support my mast at the end of the day with my halyard (no topping lift currently).

Nice looking boat.

Greg

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
The Seldon mast on my P42 likewise has unneeded/necessary boom slides. I'm thinking it came from the factory that way.

I'm curious about the spring you added to the rodkicker. Where did you get it, was it an easy install, and does it hold three boom up?

I'd keep the topping light for the reasons you outline. It has always come in handy when going up the mast.

Thanks

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I use one for a preventer since I can slide it next to my boom end sheeting. I use another as a guide for my lazy jacks so I can slide them aft into position or forward out of the way (mostly). The boom end one is also convenient to hang a shower bag.

Nov 14, 2016
Hunter 386 QCYC
I did not buy the rodkicker spring from Selden - just a well-researched eBay purchase (BANSBACH EASYLIFT AF543-010 Gas Spring, Steel,Force 550 | eBay). I custom fabricated the filler block that has to go inside the kicker to make the spring effective and the correct length. On a Hunter, there is a hard stop where the boom might make contact with the traveler on top of the arch, so, in taking the measurements, just make sure it is never too short - measure twice, cut once! You do have to buy the inner extrusion end plug as it is designed for the inside to ensure alignment and squareness. My thinking in buying a "cheap" gas spring on eBay was that I would be better off financially replacing it every 3 years (turns out unnecessary) than paying big $ for a brand one as the installation is less than an hour.

I continue to struggle with optimal conditions when furling my main (Jim, you don't have that problem) - that is, the angle of the boom (last 5 years just had it as low as possible, rather than lifting the boom) when furling in. I just read that I am supposed to have something akin to the boom slider on top of the boom to stop the foot of the outhaul from getting too close to the mast - so, apparently, I have much to learn still.

I did have to buy a new rubber buffer at the boom end of the rodkicker as the original had been crushed countless times by the previous owner as they torqued the (then) vang/empty rodkicker down. Really Jim, as I read comments from more experienced and better sailors, there are many tuning elements to optimizing sail curvature and twist etc. and my understanding is that adjustments at the vang/rodkicker are the smallest and most delicate, so, perhaps the last place to spend $$. That said, it is very satisfying to have it in there.

As to the air-spring - no issues at all, installed in 2019, lifts and holds the boom as if it was straw in all weather conditions. I have control from the cockpit and I feel good about that. I feel like it was all pretty inexpensive

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
Hamish - thanks for the great information and link on the rodkicker.

I agree you need a "boom slider on top of the boom to stop the foot of the outhaul from getting too close to the mast". It's interesting and surprising you don't have that.

I have a Seldon in-mast furling main and find the boom angle very critical to successful furling/unfurling.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Those slides on my Selden boom make a three-point attachment for the mainsheet assembly on my Bavaria 38E. My traveler is fwd of the companionway on the house. Probably standard parts on a Selden boom, as suggested above. One would not want to have to hunt them down separately to attach a mainsheet and traveler. And yes, you might attach a preventer there as mentioned. I’ve done that as well.

The after-market air spring installed in my Selden Rodkicker “gave-up-the-ghost” after about 20 yr. I replaced it with an actual Selden part and had the authorized Selden dealer who acquired it for me (i.e., my rigger) help me install it. Received dealer discount on the part; no charge on the installation.:)

Last edited:

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
The Seldén parts manual refers to these as mainsheet sliders presumably for midboom sheeting. Since Hunter gave you a nice arch mounted traveller with boom-end sheeting, these aren't needed on your boom. The dealer left them for you to invent new uses for them. I like hanging a light from one at anchor just as additional eye level illumination for boats that may be passing by in the dark.
Screen Shot 2023-10-09 at 12.59.26 PM.png

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes. :plus:
They are original hard points on the boom.

With the forces on the mid boom when you use a mid boom main sheet rig to the cabin top, the boom would snap into two halves without the engineered hard points. There are three to spread the load across the boom.

For light wind connections, I have seen preventer’s attached to stop the boom from swinging. In gale force winds, a single preventer line attached to a single mid point on any boom could damage the boom.

Nov 14, 2016
Hunter 386 QCYC
Thank you all for the responses - very helpful, and I can now either ignore them, hang some decorative lights or a pumpkin, and move one on top to stop the clew from getting too close to the mast with I furl. I am actually going to move the boom end of the rodkicker further aft and lock it into the existing holes for the block so I can get a bit more extension and compression on the rodkicker - the position established when I acquired the boat feels a bit too far forward.

Thanks again.

Hamish