Useful Stats

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
I've done some boat shopping (real and virtual) over the years and now I am avoiding work by thinking about buying accessories for my new old boat. Unfortunately, I keep coming up with questions such as how long is the cockpit, what is the freeboard, what is the length/width of the vee berth or quarter berth, etc. My boat is on the hard under plastic two hours away, so I can't measure until Spring and none of these vital statistics seem to be in a database anywhere.
I am interested today in the freeboard (waterline to gunwale) of a Hunter 34 so I can buy a ladder. I will be happy to measure everything and post when I get a chance. In the meantime, does someone know, or know of a useful database?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
sailboatdata.com will have some of the standard specs but not everything you are talking about. I am afraid you are going to have to take a trip and measure some stuff. Consider calling in sick.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
The drawings are to scale. Including the waterline. The full scale specs are on sailboatdata, etc.
Print the drawing. If it is 1 foot tall on paper, and (example) 50 feet tall in spec, then you have your scale: 1/50.
Then use the drawing to measure freeboard, v-berth etc.
If it must be a very precise measurement then of course do in person.
image.jpeg

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Dan, once you have your measurements, remember that the more steps the ladder has below the surface of the water, the easier it will be to use.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Rather than driving to your boat 2 hours away, is there a H34 in the water somewhere close to you? Walk the docks with a tape measure and a smile.:biggrin: Someone will let you measure their stuff. :yikes:

Or maybe call out the local SWAT saying their is a pervert walking the docks with a tape measure.;)

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Tried the measurements from sailboatdata, thanks, using the reported lengths for J and I, etc., and came out with an approximate scale showing the freeboard alongside the cockpit as about 41 inches. It is probably close and sufficient for current needs, but I will be interested to measure the actual distance. Meanwhile, I still think it would be useful to have these numbers (which I see from searching are commonly asked about-particularly cockpit length) in the boat info sections or a separate database.

Last edited:

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
using my rough scale, 21 inch stanchions, but I would not take it to the bank. This is another of those stats that should be available for all boats somewhere on the site.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
As most small sailboat (in your size range) ladders probably use either a 3, 4 or 5 step ladder, why not ask owners of boats comparable to yours how many steps their ladders are? Unless you are having a custom one built, you really don't have a whole lot of choice, as I think the space between steps is pretty standard.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
What I usually do is import the image of the boat into Visio. I think use a 1:1 scale and rescale the boat. The measurements are pretty close. Usually within a few inches. Plus it is fun to do.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I calculated 3' 6" from the waterline to the toe rail at the first stanchion. I am now curious to know what the freeboard is.