Used Sails

Aug 22, 2019
n/a n/a Galveston
Any luck buying a used genoa? I have been looking at a couple on Bacon Sails website.

Jan 27, 2016
Ranger 29 Bayside, Maine
I have bought used sails several times and have not been disappointed. I think it is a good way to fill out a suit of sails, I buy new for main and the genny that lives on the furler, and buy my part time sails used. A seldom used smaller genny, spinnaker, and drifter are sails I have bought for cheap from Masthead, and Atlantic.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Can be hit and miss. Some say they have good luck but, remember, someone sold that sail for a reason. Probably not that it was still in great shape and still had years of life. That is rare. "Reconditioning" can make a sail "crisp" but, that really doesn't make the sail any better once it has been used up.

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
I've had good luck with Bacon, both buying and selling. I think their secret is that THEY evaluate the sail and write the description.

Sep 17, 2012
Morgan 383 Fairhaven, NY
I've bought used sales from Al Declerq at Doyle/ Detroit. A nice tape drive genny and an asym. Great deals, great service from Al.
Contact any local active sailmaker. If they cater to racers there can be great deals.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...Can be hit and miss. Some say they have good luck but, remember, someone sold that sail for a reason. Probably not that it was still in great shape and still had years of life. That is rare. "Reconditioning" can make a sail "crisp" but, that really doesn't make the sail any better once it has been used up.
Funny it would be a 235 owner that said that. When I bought my 235 # 430, used 2 years, I wanted to add a roller furler. I looked at Bacons since they are a couple miles from me. My outgoing sail was in great condition, but I wanted a sail with a bolt rope and sun panel. They had a used sail with both, but in genoa size. It was a big one. I bought it from Bacons, as they lay their sails on a bowling alley-size table to inspect and rate them. Bacons sold my orginal sail. They have a 10-day return policy, I think for everything they sell. That genoa was so big, on a post tack, I could sheet it to the cabin-top PORT winch. /// A few weeks ago a friend said Bacons had called him that his new sail had come in. I asked if that call was on Friday, and if it was a foresail. It was. I was at B's on Friday, and they had a brand new sail on their table. I help them unfold it. Thay closely inspected it as I watched.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i too have gotten both new and used sails from Al Declerq , doyle detroit. he has been my go to guy for 30+ years. always been happy

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I had to put a 4 month old main and furling jib from my Cal 27 mk III after the boat was damaged in hurricane Charley.. The jib sold but the main is still there at Atlantic sail traders. Someone will get a bargain. Made by Mack sails in Stuart.