Used sails price. nt to insul

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
A man, who I know and trust, has a boat similar to mine. His is a 1982 O’Day 28. All he does is race. We were talking last week while I was putting away my sails and he asked me how old they are. I don’t know, could be from when the boat was new in 1981 for all I know. He said he has 5 sets of sails and one set which is hardly used and about 10 years old with a 150% genoa. He asked if I would be interested and after deciding neither of us knows the value of them he said he would bring them around for me to see and maybe we could make a deal. Do any of you have any idea what I should offer for good used sails? I don’t want to insult the guy because he’s a friend but neither do I want to pay too much.

Jun 5, 2019
ODay 28 Hammond IN
Hey, I am an owner of a Oday 28, 84. I need a Main. 30.6 luff with a 10 ft foot. I would be interested in buying from your neighbor. Please share contact info.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
I would first look at what you can afford! Then tell him "Look I'm on a budget here, and I don't want to insult you so what would you like to see!". He says 650.00 you say! sorry but that's not in my budget. He says! well, how much in your budget!! You say! 300.00 and let him come from there...

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Thank you for the feedback guys. I met him today and was going to show him this thread but I asked first if he had a price in mind and he said $500 so we made a deal. I told him that someone is looking for a main sail but he said he doesn’t want to part with any of the others. If he ever mentions reducing the number he has I’ll post it here. These sails are really nice and he said he used them for one season (I think that’s what he said). Anyway, the genoa I have is shorter than the new one. The (now) old sail tack is slightly above the pulpit rail. He said this one goes all the way down to the furling spool. Could my old genoa be a 135% instead of a 150%? I’ve added a photo of the sail for clarity. Again, thank your all for your input.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
When you say shorter I'm not sure if you mean in the vertical sense or horizontal. Saying that the sail tack comes down to the furling implies a vertical measurement. Your question of 135% vs. 150% has to do with how far back the clew is. So, the 135 vs. 150 has to do with the foot length of the sail. Not to confuse, I hope, but you could have 2 135% jibs with different luff lengths. One might be a deck sweeper (For racing) and the other may have the luff cut higher to aid visibility for cruising. I hope that provides some clarity. Enjoy your new to you sails. To me sailing is a dynamic sport and good sails are important to fully enjoy.

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
Wing, I just bought a new set of sails for my ODay 28, and I can assure you I paid a lot more than $500.00. I am also pretty sure anyone who has sails that were used for 1 year still refers to them as "new sails". You did well my friend.
My old sails set up very similar to your old sails (from what I can see on the picture). The previous owner of my boat had a 150% genoa, but had a foot and a half of the bottom cut off so that he could see forward better, looking under the sail. I had a 18 inch cable with S/S eyelets on each end. One attached to the tack of the sail. The other to the furler spool. The cable filled in the gap where once there was sail cloth.