Used sails from other boats?

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
@srimes

Like most light-weight trailerables, the Mac 26D will be on its ear with a #3 105% jib in 18-25 kts, even with 2 reefs in the mainsail. I assume the boat uses hank on sails and his smallest is a 105% or so. So it’s a good idea to have a small jib for strong winds in this wind range sailing off the Oregon coast.

I’d recommend around a 80% LP jib, with a luff of approx 80% of maximum hoist on the luff. About 65 -72 sf or so That would be about the right size for a high wind (#4) jib for a Mac26D. 6.5 - 7.0 oz good quality dacron would be the right strength. A used, small jib from a smaller boat will probably be 4-5 oz dacron. That isn't durable enough a used 4 or 5 oz sail may rip in use.

It's very important that the clew is the right height to sheet properly to the sheet fairlead on the cabintop. This will ensure the proper amount of twist by providing the right amount of tension on the leech and foot. Figuring out the clew height takes some sailmaker knowlege. If the clew height isn't right the sail will be worse than going bare headed.

Judy B
Retired Sailmaker.

Last edited:

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
@srimes

Like most light-weight trailerables, the Mac 26D will be on it's ear with a #3 105% jib in 18-25 kts, even with 2 reefs in the mainsail. I assume the boat uses hank on sails and his smallest is a 105% or so. So it’s a good idea to have a small jib for strong winds in this wind range sailing off the Oregon coast.

I’d recommend around a 80% LP jib, with a luff of approx 80% of maximum hoist on the luff. About 65 -72 sf or so That would be about the right size for a high wind (#4) jib for a Mac26D. 6.5 - 7.0 oz good quality dacron would be the right strength. A used, small jib from a smaller boat will probably be 4-5 oz dacron. That isn't durable enough a used 4 or 5 oz sail may rip in use.

It's very important that the clew is the right height to sheet properly to the sheet fairlead on the cabintop. This will ensure the proper amount of twist by providing the right amount of tension on the leech and foot. Figuring out the clew height takes some sailmaker knowlege. If the clew height isn't right the sail will be worse than going bare headed.

Judy B
Retired Sailmaker.
Thank you!!! So finding a suitable used jib is unlikely. As I shop for new, would it be better to get a separate #4 or a #3 with reef points? Seems like reefing would be easier than changing sails completely, not to mention saving storage space.

Can you recommend a sailmaker? I don't think there's anyone local to me.

Jun 25, 2004
In my personal opinion, reefing a jib in rough conditions would be difficult. You have to fight wildly flapping cloth. I don't have personal experience, but I would expect that It's easier to hank on a new one and stuff the old one down below.

A high wind jib for your boat will weigh around 8-11 pounds, and fold up in a pretty small bag.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@srimes I applaud your research with locals and your following weather development. Not sure what resource you are checking. Would suggest the Windy app as a consideration. I find it’s information reliable. The forecast is using sound methods to produce report info you can follow.
As you say, there is a wind bomb just off shore. Not sure how far you intend to go.

Oct 22, 2014
:plus: With Dr Judy regarding the removal and raise of a smaller sail than reefing a jib. Sail changes are quick and more certain. Nothing worse than trying to sail with a reefed jib that comes in tied on your foredeck while your bucking a storm condition. I think it takes longer to reef a jib than to remove a raise a new jib. Then there is the fact that your foredeck is cleaner without the wad of reefed Sail lying there.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
@srimes I applaud your research with locals and your following weather development. Not sure what resource you are checking. Would suggest the Windy app as a consideration. I find it’s information reliable. The forecast is using sound methods to produce report info you can follow.
As you say, there is a wind bomb just off shore. Not sure how far you intend to go.
I use Windfinder - wind, wave & weather reports, forecasts & statistics worldwide on the computer, Windy app on my phone. I assume they use the same NOAA data but haven't checked.

Some day I'd like to sail out and fish for tuna. They're about 20 miles out so it'd be an overnight trip. I've never done anything like that but I think it'd be an awesome experience.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Windy is phone, tablet/iPad, and computer. They provide NOAA GFS, NAM, and EURO Modeling, which gives the best (my opinion) long range data analysis. Windy provides basic, aviation, and maritime weather. It is the staple I use. When working on Hurricane forecasts I combine with NOAA weather data, Hurricane Hunter flight Data and local forecasts.

There is great info out there. If your alert to the weather resources available you can decrease the chance you will be engulfed by bad weather while at sea. The 24/48 hour marine forecasts for the Brookings area are very good.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
I had a talk with a sailmaker and was ready to place an order for an 80% #4 jib, but lost contact and haven't been able to get a response for a couple weeks. Browsing ebay yesterday I saw this a bought it: "Hank-On Storm Sail Luff = 204" Foot =94 " Leach = 153" Columbia 7.6 Sailboat "

Seems big for a true storm sail and is about right for a #4 heavy air jib on my boat, and the columbia 7.6 is a little shorter and a bit heavier than mine so it should be about right. For $150 it's worth a shot. I'll let yall know how it goes in case anyone's following this thread.

Last edited:

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Fedex brought the new sail today! I flew it in the yard and it looks great! Except for the rust stains and green hanks lol. Seems very stout and crisp with a lot of life left, and a decent size reduction from my other jib. I'll try to take some pics this weekend.

I did go out last weekend even though there was a gale warning and the forecast called for 30-40kts and 10ft seas. The wind maps predicted it would be reasonably calm in the cove so I figured I could pick how much wind I wanted. I must admit I was nervous setting up and feeling the wind in port (it's normally dead calm!), that forecast and seeing the double flags at the Coast Guard station!

We get out and...nothing. Motored out 3-4 miles looking for wind and never got it. Kept thinking we were close as there were occasional whitecaps but it was just the 6' swells starting to break. Tried sailing but couldn't keep the sails full and only went 1-1.5kts on the gps. Spent a little bit bobbing around listening to the rig bang back and forth, started getting queasy, and motored back.

Checked the wind maps and it had shifted farther off shore than forecasted. We would have had to go 7 mile to get there. Oh well.

The experience really got me thinking about light air sails. Think I'll take what I saved by getting used heavy-air jib and put it towards a drifter!

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
While you are at it, you may also want to invest in a longer rudder. It doesn't take much for that boat to get healed over enough to pull the rudder out of the water. While technically the boat should turn up wind when it heals heavily, that didn't really happen very quickly. The skipper steered upwind, but the rudder came out of the water, which meant the boat did not turn up wind in a timely fashion. I don't know about you, but I do not like the idea of loss of control. The boat is really tender, so reduced sail area is not the only thing that needs attention.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
The rudder is was upgraded by the previous owner. I can see the leading edge is extended a bit, and it seems pretty well balanced. No idea if it's longer than stock. Anyone know the length of the stock rudder?

I have considered making a new rudder mainly so I have a backup.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Hoisted the sails in all configs and took pics! Let me know what yall think!
stock jib and full main:
1595655486233.png

stock jib and 1st reef:
1595655542428.png

stock jib and 2nd reef:
1595655595391.png

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
new heavy air jib and full main:
1595655670968.png

new heavy air jib and 1st reef:
1595655745985.png

heavy air jib and 2nd reef
1595655792989.png

Oct 22, 2014
They look ok. Knowing you are not looking for racing sails and that you are managing your sailing budget they look to be very serviceable. Check the threads on the sails. It heavy winds the cloth may be good but the sails shred at the seams.

Your idea of a drifter makes sense when we get the light winds of summer days here on the Northern Pacific Coast.

Jun 25, 2004
Stress on the rig comes not only from wind speed, but also sea state, sail weight, and duration. A heavy sail may not blow out as quickly as a lighter weight Dacron sail, but the additional weight of the sail combined with increased wind speed, storm duration, and sea state will weigh heavily and destructively on the rig.
This is a common misconception. The size of the sail and the wind velocity are irrelevant when calculation maximum rigging loads. Maximum loads on the rig are determined solely by the righting movement of the boat. The area of the sail and the cloth weight are irrelevant to calculating the maximum loads on the mast, shrouds, and chainplates.

For most ballasted monohull sailboats, the maximum righting moment is at about 60 degrees of heel. If there’s enough wind to heel the boat to that point, that is the maximum static equilibrium load the rig will experience.

The sea state may produce addition loads on the hull and rig, but the heeling power produced by the Sails isn’t part of the equation.

Judy B
From Boat Stability

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
So to clarify - in light of the fact that it is scientifically provable that the physical weight of a sail will put more stress on the rig, then we assume that the amount of added weight must be negligible when compared to the righting moment of the boat?

Maybe to see this better, what is the approximate total weight of his lighter sails compared to his heavier sails? And then what is the righting force for a boat that size?

Oct 22, 2014
It appears to me, based on Dr Judy’s info, that the boats righting moment is what controls the design engineers standing rig requirements.

My sense of this is if you choose to add heavy sails and lots of additional gear just means the boat will go beyond the point of no return in lower winds.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Tried out the sail yesterday! Seemed to work well. Didn't get into the really strong air as I was concerned with the steep waves. If only I could find big wind on flat water...

I posted a short vid and related safety question in a new thread:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
This is a common misconception. The size of the sail and the wind velocity are irrelevant when calculation maximum rigging loads. Maximum loads on the rig are determined solely by the righting movement of the boat. The area of the sail and the cloth weight are irrelevant to calculating the maximum loads on the mast, shrouds, and chainplates.

For most ballasted monohull sailboats, the maximum righting moment is at about 60 degrees of heel. If there’s enough wind to heel the boat to that point, that is the maximum static equilibrium load the rig will experience.

The sea state may produce addition loads on the hull and rig, but the heeling power produced by the Sails isn’t part of the equation.

Judy B
From Boat Stability
@DrJudyB I think we talking about different things. Reading back over my original post, I wasn't talking about stability and keeping the keel pointing down and the mast up. I was really trying to address the question about the design purpose of the boat, was it suitable for long passages in heavy conditions, and implicitly whether having a heavy air sail would lead one to sailing in conditions the boat wasn't designed for.

You'll get no disagreement from me, that a 50 sq ft sail will generate the same force regardless if it is made with 6 oz Dacron or 10 oz or carbon fiber. However, when the going gets tough and the sail starts flogging and luffing and filling a lighter sail will have less mass slamming against the forestay than a heavier sail; which in a boat built for inland and coastal sailing could be problematic.

Your answer does a much better job answer the question the OP posted elsewhere today on capsizing, especially the drawing. I tried to use words to describe what your drawing does so much better.