used parts??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
I just got a new issue of Sail Mag, and it showed pictures of 100's sailboats almost totalled by the storm in Fla. Looks like there should be alot of good used parts available. Do all the parts go through a salvage company or insurance sell?? A sailboat washed on dry land is a sad sight. Thanks for any info.. Rick

Jan 2, 2005
Hunter 35.5 Legend Lake Travis-Austin,TX
Whole enchelada!!!

Those boats were all auctioned off one by one, entire boat at a time, with no "parting out". You had to buy the boat complete "as is". If you wanted a mast and boom, it was up to you to buy the boat, move it, take what you wanted, and then "dispose of" the rest of the boat. If you wanted an engine, same thing, remove it, and then "dispose of" the rest which can get expensive unless you have several acres for old boats to sit around on. Too bad, that there is not a cheap, easy way to salvage parts from sailboats.

W

Warren M.

Used Parts

The Boat US website lists a number of hurricane auctions of damaged boats (I lost my previous boat to Hurricane Isabel). As indicated below, parts are not sold separately. HOwever, a number of wholesale brokers often buy up a few boats and try to sell parts on the internet and elsewhere. Take a look at eBay and you'll a lot of parts that came off totaled boats. Recently, for example, a number of Yanmar diesels were up for sale there. Caveat emptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.