Used Diesel engines

Oct 28, 2018
Hunter 30 Cherubini Kemah, TX
Currently having issues with an old yanmar ysm12. Called the local yanmar dealer to see how much it would cost to Replace the old yanmar in my 1978 Hunter with a new yanmar. After a few nightmare filled nights, I finally recovered from the shock of the cost to replace the old engine. The price of the new engine is so high it almost makes sense to donate the boat and buy a “newer” one with a properly working engine.

Before I give up and abandon the project I wanted to try and find a used, “newer” engine that isn’t obsolete. It’s very difficult to find parts for the old yanmar and maybe a newer mode might be the way to go. Trouble is there doesn’t seem to be very many options on the Internet to buy used engines and if there is any (like on eBay) they want top dollar for their rusty old (sometimes Neglected) engines. Is there any tips and tricks out there for finding a good deal on used diesel marine engines? Haven’t been able to see any auction websites or places were salvaged boats/engines are sold.

Aug 12, 2020
Lancer 36 Pago Pago
With all the storm damaged boats around, there should be some decent older GM and QM series engines around; just check the oil to make sure they weren't submerged.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I was in The same fix around 8 years ago. I found a guy in Wisconsin who was dealing in rebuilt Yanmars. (Sorry I don’t have his contact info.) He had some reasonable prices, but no idea about his reliability. So I started searching the web, and calling around. Spoke to Torreson Marine in Michigan, and lucked out. They had a like new 1GM10 for half price. I forget the story, but they are a very reputable group. I ordered the engine, and am very happy with the results after 8 years.

With a Campbell Sailor prop he engine drives our h27 a half knot below hull speed on flat water. And the reliability is great.

Good luck on your search.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
went through that with a universal 5411 a few years ago. Cost of a new or rebuilt engine was more than I paid for the boat so I downloaded the manual and rebuilt it myself for less than 10% of what I was quoted for a rebuild. First engine I’ve done. It was still running fine when I sold the boat( 600hrs). Surprisingly easy to do but a little scary to start when you’ve never done one before

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Currently having issues with an old yanmar ysm12. Called the local yanmar dealer to see how much it would cost to Replace the old yanmar in my 1978 Hunter with a new yanmar. After a few nightmare filled nights, I finally recovered from the shock of the cost to replace the old engine. The price of the new engine is so high it almost makes sense to donate the boat and buy a “newer” one with a properly working engine.

Before I give up and abandon the project I wanted to try and find a used, “newer” engine that isn’t obsolete. It’s very difficult to find parts for the old yanmar and maybe a newer mode might be the way to go. Trouble is there doesn’t seem to be very many options on the Internet to buy used engines and if there is any (like on eBay) they want top dollar for their rusty old (sometimes Neglected) engines. Is there any tips and tricks out there for finding a good deal on used diesel marine engines? Haven’t been able to see any auction websites or places were salvaged boats/engines are sold.
Is a marine engine ever obsolete? I'm not so sure. When my then obsolete Nissan diesel needed at least a rebuild, the hunt for a solution led me to a newer, used replacement. As it turned out, the replacement was just a few miles from my home. Long story short, I bought the used one with a 'history' I believed, for 1k. Because it was the same block the swap was essentially a few hours of easy work and little else in added parts.

To go to square one - a new engine - the process, starting at the engine beds and ultimately replacing most of the engine related systems, could have come close to what I paid for the old boat if I had it done by an experienced yard.

Instead I drove the prepared replacement to the boat at 7 am. The travel lift driver came alongside and we had it on the mounts well before lunch.

12 seasons later, I couldn't be happier with the obsolete engine in my,...way obsolete boat. Keep looking, you should be able to find a suitable replacement.

Engine install day 7-01am.jpg