Used Catalina 30

stanj

Oct 9, 2017
Catalina 22 Toronto
I am considering buying a 1991 Catalina 30. The owner states that the engine has 4000 hours of use. Is this low, average or high for a boat of this age ? It is also stated that the boat has spent 6 months in salt water. Is this a problem? Are there other issues I should look out for? Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Are there other issues I should look out for?
Oh My... Where to start... Since you own a Catalina 22 I am guessing this is an upgrade.. You want to do more in a boat that you can not do in your Catalina 22.

Bigger boats, even though you know the Catalina 22, have a lot more systems. 4000 hours can be bad if there has been little or no maintenance. Fine if the engine has been regularly maintained and there are no issues in a survey.

If the boat value is a big one in your budget, then spend the money for a survey once you have decided this is the boat for you. If you have won the lottery and this is the way you plan to spend your money. Then.. Never Mind...

Plan on spending the price you agree on plus that much again in the first 3 years of boat ownership. It will be the "man this is a wonderful boat but it needs..." Every owner I have met goes through this passage of ownership.

p.s Catalina boats are great boats.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
4000 hours is not bad... it's diesel you know. See if the owner has the maintenance schedule.... have him start it up... a 40 year old boat... that's only 100 hrs per year.

My Cat 27 has been in salt water for 43 years.... I have a diver wipe the bottom every month and every 3 or 4 years I haul out and re paint the bottom with anti fouling paint.

If you want to look at the bottom... have a dive service inspect... or take it over to a boat yard and pay them to lift the boat up for an inspection then drop it back in the water.... won't cost that much since they're not moving it and blocking it on the hard. Or you could just get a mask and snorkel (wetsuit too, I guess) and look your self.

Another strategy is to walk around the marina an see if there's a diver working who can do the inspection.. for cash, or course.

Last edited:

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
4000 hours is up there, but like Joe says, if it's been maintained and runs well then it shouldn't be a problem. Have a diesel mechanic go over it and run a compression test. You could also send a sample of the oil out for analysis which, as long as the oil wasn't changed recently, will tell you a lot about its condition. You also want to go over the transmission, their longevity is generally shorted than the Universal diesel motors. If it's only been in the salt water for 6 months of its 29 year life then that is a non-issue. C-30's are great boats and don't have any particular problems that other older boats don't also have. Go over the keel-to-hull joint and make sure it is solid - many Catalinas have the "smile", a crack in the joint at the forward end. This is not a big deal and is mostly cosmetic. Make sure the prop shaft sits in the center of the shaft log - if not, you may need new motor mounts or at a minimum adjust the mounts. Make sure the deck has no wet spots. Make sure the rudder is solid with no water ingress. Of course, anything can be fixed with enough time and money.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
Are you near the boat? As stated previously, everything depends on how well everything was maintained. Go over the boat, look for things that are easier to maintain. Oil levels, strainer condition, belt tension & condition, etc. If easily maintained items weren't, you can bet harder, more important things weren't either. if the engine has a heat exchanger, then the time in salt water should not be an issue. (Check Anode(s). Fresh needs magnesium and salt needs zinc.} Ask to see a maintenance log. It doesn't have to be fancy, for example I just keep a list on my laptop of what has been done and when.

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
I am considering buying a 1991 Catalina 30. The owner states that the engine has 4000 hours of use. Is this low, average or high for a boat of this age ? It is also stated that the boat has spent 6 months in salt water. Is this a problem? Are there other issues I should look out for? Thanks!
Seems like a lot of motor-sailing.....Consider where located, usually seven months on the hard.
However, as others have indicated, it's a diesel, if well maintained, no problem.
With many miles all around Lake Michigan, Huron and up to the North channel, my 88 has half that many hours
Any concerns will be answered by a good surveyor

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
My 1986 C34 has 3,640 engine hours, and I use it a lot. Sounds reasonable.

It's most likely an M25 engine.

Engines 101 - The BIGGEST & BEST collection of M25 Series Universal Engine Information on the Internet, plus some M35, too :)

Diesel Engine - c34.org

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
If it was in a car and averaged 40mph over it's life it would have 160,000 miles on the odometer. Well cared for it would have many more miles to go, poorly cared for...?

Feb 13, 2017
Catalina C-22 Lake Dillon
Go with your instincts. There are pros and cons to both plans, but really weigh the likelihood of what your future sailing will really be. A thirty-footer will certainly give you more living space, but will cost more to own (marinas generally charge by-the-foot for slip fees. Haul-outs will most certainly involve craine expenses.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I know someone that has a 91 Catalina 27. He said electrical connectors started to have issues after about five years. He added some solder to the wire/crimp connection to resolve the issue (basically soldered wires to crimp connector). Just one issue that might pop up

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
No boat is going to be 'issue free'. Checkout this page for things you need to be aware of with some older Catalinas. A lot depends on how comfortable you are with DIY repairs.

We upgraded from a 1984 O'Day 23 to a 1985 Catalina 30. We really enjoy the extra room, particularly head room! I've learned a LOT with the new boat as it is my first inboard, first diesel, first with a real electrical panel, first boat with shore power, etc. The web can be a great learning tool for things you are not experienced in, but best is a friend or a boat club member who can show you the ropes.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
I had a 1990 Catalina 30 for 15 years. Things to look for.. Mast Step in the bilge, it rots.. Mine was totally mud. 4000 hours is a lot of hours, but if they are well maintained it should provide years more of service if you put on low hours.. i think i heard 5000 hours was around the time a rebuild would be needed on a smaller diesel. is the transmission original? i went through two of them and a couple of damper plates as well. Exhaust elbow needed to be replaced.. the boat essentially needed to be rewired due to simply the age and corrosion creep into all of the wires.. All of the through deck hardware needed rebedding (the Stantions were a huge pia). needed a new fuel tank, water tank, head.. at this vintage you're in the realm of anything might need to be replaced.. how old is the standing rigging? a really really good surveyor is key for this age boat..